• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is this? No. 65

Lloyd

master brummie
A row of suburban shops, sometime in the late 50s or the 60s. In my younger days I knew them well: I delivered papers from one, had my hair cut in another, delivered milk to many of them, these were probably the first shops I ever saw from my pram, as they were the nearest to our house.
But where are they?

A row of suburban shops, sometime in the late 50s or the 60s. In my younger days I knew them well: I delivered papers from one, had my hair cut in another, delivered milk to many of them, these were probably the first shops I ever saw from my pram, as they were the nearest to our house.
But where are they?

Looks like Hagley Road. Sandown Road way?

A STRETCH OF SHOPS THAT USED TO BE OPPERSITE THE KINGS HEAD PUB
On The Hagley Road Coming From Light woods Park ,There Is Now Traffic Lights And The Corner Shop AS Gone And Now Its Grants The ESTATE aGENTS
As Some One Said The Bear wood Rd Walking To The City , I Think It Was That As Soon AS I Clapped Hands On It With Out A Moments Thought ,

Phil and Astonian have it right, Hagley road at Bearwood Road Junction. At that time this photo would have been taken from the traffic island there.
The Chemist's shop on the corner had been unchanged since before the war: I believe that when he retired, the shopfittings all went to the City museums department and the estate agent approached to sell the property bought it for themselves. Gibbs' was the newsagent, and for a couple of years I did a paper round that covered as well as a couple of roads behind Lightwoods Park, Lordswood Road as Far as Knightlow Road.
The hairdresser (Bernard's, I think the shop is still that now) was a bit further down, and between the two was the Sandonia restaurant, where I occasionally had their very economic lunch. The double fronted shop had vent-axia fans above both window bays, they were noisy and ran at slightly different speeds, giving the impression of dining in a twin-engined aeroplane!
Just by the hoarding which stuck out to the pavement was an insurance broker, then a ladies hat shop, cope's motorcycle shops, Cranmore Brothers' garage, the New Talbot pub (more frequently called "Dirty Bet's" apparently after a former landlady), then Barnsley Road.

HI LLOYED
I Lloyed As Soon I Clicked The Thread I Instanly Recorded The Photograph In My Head And The House With The Hedges And The Garden Wall As Well
When I Was A Little Kid We Used To Go Up The Hagley Rd FromKing Edwards Rd Scrumping FromThe Toffs Gardens And Harborne Lane Allotments Around The Old Chad ValleyToy Factory ,As Well Every Dy Whilst On School Holidays ,
I ,m Glad You Mentioned Barnsley Rd I Wanted To Include It But For The Love Nor Money I Just Could Not ThinkOf That Dammed Rd , Thanks For Bringing Back To Mind
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;

Lloyd

I know this is off thread, but can you answer me a question. Was there an all night jazz festival at Lightwoods Park in 1961. I have a hazy recollection and memory one and that I went to it. I am not and never have been a jazz fan so the attraction must have been it was an all nighter. So did I dream it?

Phil

I ,m Glad You Mentioned Barnsley Rd I Wanted To Include It But For The Love Nor Money I Just Could Not ThinkOf That Dammed Rd , Thanks For Bringing Back To Mind
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;

Do you (or anyone) remember the Rosor Sweet factory on the left, first property in Barnsley Road. If I walked up Anderson Road I could hear (and see in the summer when windows were open) sweet wrapping machines going "Tink-a-chink, tink-a-chink!" flat out. They fascinated my young mechanic's mind! (and I fancied the sweets, too!)

HI Lloyed I Sure Do Remember The Sweet Factory ,
Thats Why I Desperately Wanted To Name The Road But I Just Could Not PUT My
Finger OnThe Pulse , To Had To The Thread So Then I Knew You Would Under Stand The Postion I Am Coming From Yes Sure In The Summer The Sweet Smell Was More Promoient And With Our Bags Of Apples And Pears From Tom Knockers Wood
And It Was An Orchard Up Behind The Chad Valley Toy Factory Which Incidently There As Been A School On The Old Site And The Woods Behind IT And There Was A Little Stream Running Down The Side Of It , Yes Lloyed I Certainly Remember The Sweet Factory , We Would Start Our Way FromKing Edwards Rd UpTo The Ivy Bush Into The Actual Ivy Bush Where There Was A Very Big Victoria House With Ground
Going Right Down Harborne Park Rd Come Out By The Convent And Up Auguster Rd Down To The Allotments And Through To Chad Valley And Tom Knockers Wood Then Up Past The Sweet Factory On Our Way Home Down City Rd And Dudley Rd And Back Home At King edwards Rd Lady wood

Back