• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is this No. 63

This looks a good one, no guess anyone, its not the street thats important its those doors! Clue 1

I've studied the doors for a while - can't decide if it's a side exit from a cinema, or a pub. They look familiar.
1st guess - back doors to the Futurist, (John Bright Street) - so Hill Street.

Assuming that its a night club, and its in town. I know the ones that it is not, I know where it looks like, but I doubt you and your mates ever went there The Ringway. So I will plump for one I know you used, but I never entered the doors myself The Whiskey A Go Go.

Phil

Its those building reflected in the windows of the doors that are throwing me. It looks like Smallbrook Ringway to me, as I can't see why anybody would be sitting on the steps of a club during the day waiting for it to open. Then it must be some sort of a venue.

The only place I can bring to mind in that sort of area is the back doors to the Odeon.

Phil

Phil
part of your thinking is amazeing, wrong place but good thoughts my dear watson, you have the 4th Clue

Was it a place in Sherlock st??? cant think of the name, was it one of my places Bob?

May be the Elbow Rooms but I dont think so

Last edited:
Bob

As Mossy says, it looks very much like its The West End dance hall even though I had already discounted it in my own thoughts, As I remember the doorway being larger. Perhaps I was just smaller then.

Phil

CitySmallbrookStWestEnd-1.jpg

Phil looks like Mossy's cracked it, the West end was great with it's springy floor, I remember seeing Freddie and the Dreamers there.

Yes Patty that sprung floor,we used to dance all together to make the floor bounce........Mossy

Well Done Mossy
It is the West End Doors to the dance hall only, the canopy was the entrance to the cinema only. They where next to each other.
Phil the west End dance hall was open at lunch times and every Saturday Afternoons as you thought. Hard Luck Lloyd good efforts.
I think I gave you to many Clues.
I used to go Saturday Lunch time and Tuesday nights, untill it closed in 1967 to make way for the new buildings ATV and hotels and the Queensway. It was then Suffolk Street I believe.

I was so envious of you all that went Saturday lunch times, I got a job at the hairdressers at the age of 13 because that's all I ever wanted to be and couldn't go but I was there at the front of the queue Tuesdays.

Patty
I can't believe you did not spot the doors at the front of the cue, you must have been eying us guys up!
Some great dancers went on a Tuesday night, Chris Wolsey was one in the picture sitting on the step, he had rubber leg's and great Blues movement.
The other guys in the photo was Rob Marsh, Londoner Kenny Frazer & Micky Johnson, all very well known townies in the 60's

Bob

As Mossy says, it looks very much like its The West End dance hall even though I had already discounted it in my own thoughts, As I remember the doorway being larger. Perhaps I was just smaller then.

Phil
Phil that door is the entrance to the cinema, look to the right of that door under the canopy, a little recess is the 1st picture, Brick side of the rendering

Sorry Alf I can't see your photo. Can you repost it in jpeg please?
Blimmey who opened this one back up.
I can assure you all that my photos are deffinatley the old West End cinama and dance hall

Back