• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

where is this 76

dereklcg

master brummie
hi ya just thought i,d join in the fun if you don,t mind?
it,s an old place that won,t be there long easy peasy

Attachments

• belmont row.jpg
    belmont row.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi derek,

Its in slightly better condition here, I thought they were rebuilding it. Its the old Co op Furniture store at AB Row

Phil

Attachments

• Vauxhall Coopers Cycle Factory Belmont Row.JPG
    Vauxhall Coopers Cycle Factory Belmont Row.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi derek,

Its in slightly better condition here, I thought they were rebuilding it. Its the old Co op Furniture store at AB Row

Phil
i just thought it would be easy to someone who often goes into brum,
i just thought it deserved a photo before it,s gone,i don,t get to the city to often,we went to dollman st and had time for a look see well done,it say,s it,s cardigan st b4 but with this and that it,s all change.
cheers pmc. regards Derek.

Derek

When I lived in that area I probably passed by this building a thousand times or more. I have to be honest and say that I think its Belmont Row that its in, or as the case may be, what used to be called Belmont Row.

Phil

Nice photos Derek/Phil,, good to remember those places in the better days,
Pity the Graffiti morons are evident in their destructive apathy,,
Oh, i forgot,,poor things,,They have No history, they never made anything, not even of themselves,,
Oh well,paint will wear away, History with meaning,,never will,
Cheers m8,s JohnY

John. I totally agree with you, such a pity to see it all. GRAFFITI I mean to say.
I wonder is it an import from the USA ?

It is a pity that the first thing you notice when looking at Derek's photos is the graffiti. But there's nothing new, as Lloyd has proved. When I was a child it was What No who appeared everywhere, plenty of scope in those days.

The Co-op building is lovely, please someone tell us that it is being rebuilt.

Wot no graffitti ?
GER22VAN has a point, across the pond they invented "Kilroy was here" and brought it over when they were "...and over here" (WW II) then we got going with "Wot no ..." and the bloke with +'s for eyes and his nose over the top of a brick wall usually applied with chalk or a stone. Not really offensive and folks were quite amused with them but they then they didn't take over complete areas using long lasting paint and dyemarkers like todays rubbish, sorry, "Art Form"

Now passed from common useage, the character 'Chad', half of a face with a large nose peeping over a wall, combined with the US-originated 'Kilroy was here!' slogan was common graffitti in the late 40s and early 50s.
If you remember it and want to know the derivation, read this.

Attachments

• mrchadwhite[1].jpg
    mrchadwhite[1].jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I think I read somewhere that the old co-op factory was too far damaged by the fire to be restored? Another sad loss to the city if so.

hi ya, it is such a shame that there,s not to many places of or childhood left,
if you were born and bread in the area,as most of us were.
i don,t get to brum that often,so just thought the next time i do that bit of history will be history so to speak,i like taking photographs,all subjects as you can see in my album,i borrow some but take more.
happy days regards dereklcg.

hello di sorry for the graffiti,but you can only tell it how it is. i afraid it,s the world we live in. the way the building looked to me, there is know way they plan to fix it up ::((
i,ll try and monitor it,s progress. happy days regards dereklcg.

In the early 1950s my uncle drove a Guy Vixen furniture van for the CO-OP all over the country from this building, in those days it was called Belmont Row as PMC 1947 says, the photo is of a Lesney model of a similar van.

nice one john. it,s nice that someone remembers the old building, for what it,s worth i fancy next time i get down that way it will be know more,i,m glad i took the photo.
my dad used to drive a lorry like that amongst others, here there and everywhere.
happy days regards dereklcg.

Hi all. I was up there yesterday having a look around. All the land at the back of the factory has been cleared and the demolition boards are firmly in place awaiting the bull-dozers I'm afraid. Not good news, but the building is VERY badly fire damaged. The old Moby Dick pub is safe for now at least!!

Hi all. I was up there yesterday having a look around. All the land at the back of the factory has been cleared and the demolition boards are firmly in place awaiting the bull-dozers I'm afraid. Not good news, but the building is VERY badly fire damaged. The old Moby Dick pub is safe for now at least!!
hi virusman,i was there myself on Friday it does,nt look good. sad to say
what pray tell will they build there?
or will they just leave it to gather money, when the price of land,
if it is,nt right, wait till it is.
regards dereklcg.

what pray tell will they build there?

Hi dereklcg. I've heard through some contacts that the highest bidder so far is English partnership. I thought they only bought buildings that were in good working order, THEN knocked them down. Or am I just being bitter?

No wonder I didn't recognise the name "The Old Moby Dick", Thats Because it used to be called "The Eagle and Ball". Thats the one isn't it on the corner of Penn St and Gopsal St.

Phil

hi mate you are right that,s where it is.
the paint job did look flash,for that name.
i wonder why they mite have changed it
someone may know?
catch you later regards dereklcg.

Mike

The only Kings Arms around there would have been in Great Barr St, which as you may remember ran from Fazeley St to Lawley St.

Phil

Thank you Phil, I haven't been over there for some years so expect it's closed or even knocked down by now.
Mike

Lads,

It went years ago, it used to be about half way between Lawley St and Montague St on the right hand side going to-wards Digbeth opposite Cannings.

There used to be a great little pub over the road behind Cannings on the corner of Palmer St. "The Malt Shovel"

Phil

Back