• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is This #205?

Is it anything to do with Lord Nelson's stay at the Royal after the battle of Waterloo? Viv.

Viv

This question is solely to do with the hotel itself and nothing to do with any person other than the fact they were at the celebration.

So did the unveiled plaque (the bit you've edited out) say something like, "this was the site of Dee's Royal Hotel, where HRH Victoria, Lord Nelson, Etc etc once stayed' The event being the unveiling, below Victoria's plaque, when Rackham's opened in 1959. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alternatively the sign unveiled might say "Food Hall this way" Only joking! Viv.

Viv

Actually the sign has very little to do with what is being celebrated only the fact if I let you see the whole sign it will give the game away. It's more an occasion that is being celebrated, I really find it amazing that having got this far everybody taking part so far cant just get that final bit of information that is by far the most important piece of the puzzle.

The royal Angus hotel oppersite st chads church behind the Birmingham post and mail offices astonian

i think the answer lies with what happened to the hotel in 1959 - when the new store was being built - does anyone know what happened to it?

So did the 'hotel' relocate elsewhere and the plaque went there or was part of the building preserved and became something else/incorporated into another 'new' building and the plaque put in the 'new' building.

So did the 'hotel' relocate elsewhere and the plaque went there or was part of the building preserved and became something else/incorporated into another 'new' building and the plaque put in the 'new' building.

So carry on then, where did it move to?

Wasn't it Wildays Royal Hotel in New Street? And did it become the Arden? Or was it further up New St nearer the Town Hall end? (I know Wildays was once at the Royal Hotel in Temple Row, then when Dee took over theTemple Row hotel, Wilday opened one in New St.) Viv.

Right then Phil - now we know it moved so that's a big clue - but where to? I can find The Old Royal which is a pub in Church Street but I don't know if that has always just been a pub or even how old it really is - it also has a plaque but it seems to be the wrong royal on it. Am I miles away Phil?

Now checked it out and when Wilday set up in New Street he called the hotel the New Royal Hotel and it was opposite the Society of Arts (so the upper end of New St near the Town Hall). Still struggling... Viv.

Addition: maybe Wilday took the plaque to his new hotel in New Street and eventually (when his New Royal Hotel was demolished it was eventually returned to the original site (Rackham's).

Pollypops,

The people in the photo were celebrating the opening night of the new Old Royal hotel which has moved the once named Red Lion in Church Street. Well done, I thought it was never going to be solved. I think in the end it was a combined effort that saw it through.

The photos are the original photo untouched. The back of the photo, The old Royal Temple Row, The Old Royal Church St.

Attachments

• City Opening Night The Old Royal Church St (1).JPG
    City Opening Night The Old Royal Church St (1).JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 36
  • City Opening Night The Old Royal Church St (2).JPG
    City Opening Night The Old Royal Church St (2).JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 35
  • City Temple Row Ye Olde Royal.jpg
    City Temple Row Ye Olde Royal.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 29
  • City Church St Red Lion.jpg
    City Church St Red Lion.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 30
That was great fun Phil, thank you. Can't believe I got another one right - after never getting any I get two right in the same week!

If that is the plaque they refer to on their site I think they need a history lesson - Queen Victoria was Queen Elizabeth's Great, great Grandmother.

well done polly and everyone...cracked it in the end...i had no chance..next one please phil...

It is still at the top of the stairs at the OLD ROYAL Church St.

Attachments

• Plaque in Old Royal.jpg
    Plaque in Old Royal.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 16
Sorry to mess up the thread Bernard now you have split it up but, how else can I say thank you to Viv for her help?
I made the dress for The Lady Mayoress for the inaugural photo so it was due to the kindness of Viv that I was
able to see them both again after all these years.
Once again Viv thanks for giving me pleasureXXXX
Betty

Hi Betty I'm sending you a personal message. Viv.

Back