• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is This? 10

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
O.K. this time I have deleted the name tag.

So where is this and whats more what is it now. I have a lot of personal knowledge of this location.

Phil

xx-14.jpg

Its The Under Takers On The Erdington High Street
Oppersite The St Barnabus ,s Church
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,,

Astonian,

I'm sorry its not Erdington High St. Do you know I didn't think that this location would give much trouble. Perhaps its because I know the location so well. I'm willing to bet that quite a few members of this forums have been inside this building.

Phil

You may have cracked it Astonian,looks like the gate that Mr Hazel used to appear from looking like Uriah Heap.

Warwick Rd Olton, The cake shop (name is completely gone, something Pattisierres??). I used to service/repair their delivery vans (Bedford CF's) in the early 80's and those entrance gates sure look familiar.

Dave P

Come on postie, have another go you are so close its unbearable. You are nearly on the doorstep. Well I'm off to bed now so if you do have another go you will have to wait till morning for my reply.

Phil

Alberta, it does look a lot like Hazel's in Erdington High Street next to the Church House where old Mr. used to stalk about. I remember him looking very much like Uriah Heap with his old fashioned suit and fly away collar. It's not though. I haven't a clue.

jennyann & Richie,

Sorry you are both wrong. I just cannot believe this is giving so much trouble. I thought this was one of the easiest I have put up. I suppose its easy to say that when you know the answer.

I suppose a clue would be in order as its been going about 24 hours now.

Right, postie as I have said was so close and I mean close, and a lot of people might go here to complete a night out on the town.

Phil

postie,

You are right it is now “The Manzil” the Indian restaurant in Digbeth next to the Police Station. I worked on this in 1963 when it was converted to a restaurant. They made claims that it was the first curry house in the town centre but it wasn’t.

Karashi the owner wasn’t the best payer in the world, so when he offered me the room above the café next door to open as a night club, I told him to take a walk. I sometimes think if it was the right thing to do, it was about the time when clubs were beginning to prosper in Birmingham.

I have to say it is getting to look a little rough now, when it first opened it was very posh inside and out.

Phil

ManzilDigbeth.jpg

THE WAGGON And HORESES , OR THE OLD BEAR
On Stratford Road Before The New Front Went In Many YearsAGO

pmc1947 I think the Manzil is the oldest family run asian resturaunt in Brum. My hubby tells me it's very popular with some taxi and the limmo driver's.

Wendy

The Manzil was never a family run business, it was owned by a group of Indian business men fronted by a very nice chap called Karashi, who acted the English gent. He was the biggest shareholder another one was a chap called Bhutt or something like that, there were also others.

We carried out works at these premises on and off for years, although Karashi was a very poor payer. we even got paid in sixpence's once when we called at his cafe in Cox St, Balsall Heath for payment. He empitied all the pinball machines to pay us.

All this aside he was a very likeable chap, and whenever I went there for a meal he would treat me like a long lost son, which was very impressionable especially if I was accompanied by a young lady.

Phil

I knew it wasn't the the nick.
I've spent a night in there a couple of times

Last edited:
Palethorpes had a sausage & pork pie factory entrance off Coventry Rd, Small Heath, city side of Green Lane, Wimbush`s bread & cake bakery was behind, they would herd the the pigs in off Coventry Rd, the site is now Morrisons car park.

That factory was Bywaters, as kids we used to sneak over the wall and watch the slaughter of pigs. Aint boys horrabull.

Back