• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

where is she buried

smithy

master brummie
Hya all

I have a death cert for Emily Hannah Smith
Age 41 17th august 1909
Aston Union Workhouse
I know hannah was in there as she was a widow.Her children were there also.
She had lots of family around her so I am hoping some kind person
may be able to help me find a grave for hannah.

This may then help me to find hannah's husbands death as I cannot find much about him at all.

His name was Albert Edward Smith and he was a Corporation Carter.
They are all on the 1901 and moved to Garrison street after this.
There- for Albert must have died between 1901 and 1909.

right , why not apply to Birmingham register office for his death certificate giving the information you have, the resident genealogist will do a five year search and is very good at finding the correct person. If they can't find him you money is returned.
( I went to a talk by him ( John Yates ) and he is a really enthusiastic)

Maybe this one?
[SIZE=+1]Deaths Mar 1905 [/SIZE]SMITH Albert Edward given age 39 Birmingham 6d102

Aston Union Workhouse, I think, was in Erdington. Try Witton Cemetery, that is the nearest cemetery to where I believe the workhouse was.

Shortie

Hya all thank you for all of the information so far.
ALBERT AND EMILY MARRIAGE Dec 25th 1889 bishop ryder. he being 23 she 22. (albert smith:father thomas smith)

Have cert for 6d102. View attachment 60485 feb 1905 age 39. However, the informant is AG Smith this being Alice Gertrude Lawson.
Spoke to John Yates some time ago and he couldnt find another Albert (edward) smith during the period 1902-1909 or either side of these dates.
Any help really appreciated. Thought he might be named on Hannah's grave if I could find one. smithy

I ran a full FreeBMD search on Albert Smiths dying between 1901 and 1909.
There are a few Albert Smiths in Birmingham, several of which were babies. Other than the one you already have, there is one that is close to being the right age. I have also found an additional Albert Edward Smith registered away from Birmingham, but near enough to consider.

Albert Edward Smith, Q2 1904, Pershore, 6c 195 age 38 (this would have made the dob 1866, like your Albert). Might be worth trying to spot this one in the 1901 census to eliminate him.

Another that is close is:
Albert Smith Q1 1907, Birmingham 6d 84, age 42 (dob c 1865. This is close, if as age comparisons always depend on where the birthday falls in comparison to the date of the event)

Other less likely ones are:

Albert Smith Q3 1907 Birmingham 6d 9, age 31
Albert Smith Q1 1908 Birmingham 6d 80, age 55
Albert Smith Q1 1908 Birmingham 6d 52, age 40

[Dates provided for marriage certs are sometimes manipulated, so if it were me, I would try to double check the date of birth by tracking back through the census returns, although I appreciate that it is difficult with Smith as a surname!]

Hope this helps

Hya all just a quickie for now and thanks for all of your information.

I do know from his marriage lines his fathers name is thomas.
will be back on later.smithy

Hya all I have telephoned witton cemetry and given the details and found out that a search of a grave can be made.
There is no charge for this, not sure if it was because I have the death certificate and all details of emily.

I was told there is always a great deal of searches and they are done at the end of the days work. Therefore it may be a few days before they get back to me. Will let you all know what happens. Many thanks for all of your help

Smithy, I can tell you that there is a charge, but only after the first two. It is obviously of help if you have all the details, as the records are not computerised. To find a burial, you have to first look in the index. That particular book is not too large so not to heavy to haul around. Then you look in the burial book. After that, if it is a private grave (as opposed to common or public) you have to look in another book. These books are very thick and about 18" x 2ft. Not an easy job, believe me.

The new ruling on charges is the first two free and after that, it is £10 each one. Excessive, I feel, but that is only personal opinion. I suspect that if you had rung and said you wanted the burial of Joe Bloggs died between 1914 and 1920, you would be charged for that. From experience, I can tell you it can take up to an hour and a half to find ONE person. That's not the case if you have all the details, of course.

Thank you shortie for that. Actually I have been really heartened today of how nice some people can really be.
I rang witton yesterday and gave the details and lo and behold at lunchtime the phone rang. A really nice lady said it was lunchtime but she had done her work and looked up the grave for me and yes there was an entry. (no charge) However, it is a common grave. She kindly explained what this is.
So at long last I know where she is laid to rest. I now have to plough on and find her husband.
I am going to witton to see, but I need to contact my husbands sister, and arrange a date etc. As of course this is her grandmother and she herself is 81 yrs old.

I am glad I have been of use Smithy. As I have said before in another post, the staff generally at cemeteries are extremely good, kind and understanding. I suspect at Witton it would have been Heather, who is kindness itself. I expect you will find this lady's husband in the same cemetery, so even if they are not in the same grave, it is a comfort to know that they are (sort of) together.

Happy hunting!

Shortie

Back