• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where and when was this incident?

shadowrichards

proper brummie kid
John Crossley.jpg
I want to establish whether this photograph is a post-war scene or (which I doubt) a wartime bomb incident. Identifying the age of the fire appliances should solve this.

Assuming that the sign says John Crossley and Son it may be
Crossley and Son Carpet Mkrs 2/5 Station St 5 MIDland 7473 from the 1955 directory

In the 1940 Kellys John Crossley & Sons, carpet manufacturers, were at 263-267 Corporation st, but in 1943 they had disappeared, which might indicate bombing. This address is , I believe, the building in red on the map, which would fit with the picture.

map_c_1937_junc__corporation_st__Lancaster_st2C_with_nos_263-267_marked.jpg

Thanks to those who have responded. The fact is that the Green Goddesses make it a post-war scene. Someone (not on the forum) has suggested that it is to do with the Halfords fire in Corporation Street in 1955.

I was thinking that as I was posting before, but wasn't sure.
Although I did see the Halfords fire from the attic window of the house I was living in at the time on Gravelly Hill, Erdington.

l will second that ..i am sure it was halfords fire....i got married in 1956 and that fire was before that.....Brenda

Hi Austin
I am amazed that you seen the holfords for as far down as gravelly hill especially when you said you seen the flames
We seen it down on the Lichfield road just by Aston cross as we lived along side the Ansells brewers but saying that there extension was not built then
It was about twelve little shops and the rest was a series of courts and terraces and the face you see on pictures of An sells by the clock
Was not built then it was little shops there I can recall the little shops being knocked down to build there fancy frontage of office block
With the clock on my mother and my dads sister both cleaned them they both went and got the job there cleaning the offices
And halfords fire was alight huge it was the central fire station openened up there front fire engine entrances and fought the fire from there building
And obvisiouly some went around the back of halfords to fighht the fire and of course there other concern was the hospital nursing staff
Of the general hospital quarters was also facing the holfords building ax the flames was raging across to them as well
As the fire station that nurses quarters which was a big high rise block later became a science lab,for the univerasry
And holfords building was condemmened and they found a huge premises down on hockley brook and had building work to extend it and bought both
Sides of hunters hill and built a walk over bridge from side to another side of hunters and put a clock in the middle of it
My o.older brother got a job in there new building down there in there ware housing department
On the following Monday morning we walked up from the. Cross to she the damage of corporation street
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Hi Austin
I am amazed that you seen the halfords for as far down as gravelly hill especially when you said you seen the flames,

Hi Astonian, you must realise that the house I lived in was towards the top of Gravelly Hill, and was a large three floors Victorian terrace, with access to the roof via the attic window. We could see right across to the city centre quite easily.
Stood there for ages watching it burn.

Hi Austin,
You do not have to explain to me on how you seen the fire from your bedroom window,as yes I knew those big Victorian house
Was there at the top end and of course you would have seen it I did not doubt for one moment
My expression was a figure of speech when I said I was surprised and I know it was seen for miles
Just like the wood fire down Catherine. Street along the Lichfield road which was just yards from the Aston cross picture house
And facing An sells that was seen across the Birmingham Area
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

The Halfords Fire was on the evening of March 12th 1955. This is a photo of the fire taken from the roof of the central fire station.

Attachments

• City Lancaster St Halfords Fire.jpg
    City Lancaster St Halfords Fire.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 61
Back