• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What rank is this relative?

lencops

gone but not forgotten
The photo does not seem to show any stripes so he could be a Private, Sapper, Trooper or Gunner, he is wearing the battledress blouse of the start of WW2, i am sure members will add more info. Len.

dib44

master brummie
Enlarged the image somewhat and the name on the shoulder (Epaulet?) ends in LANCE ?( I think,) Ambulance? could possibly be Ordnance?

Not really sure as the larger the image goes the fuzzier it becomes.

lencops

gone but not forgotten
dib44, Was`nt the shoulder badge of the Royal Army Ordnance Corp just the capital letters ie, R.A.O.C? & the medical corp R.A.M.C?. Len.

dib44

master brummie
Len, sincere apologies, but I just do not know :)

I am (almost) sure it ends in ANCE it also looks to be two words with the
second word being around 7 letters long.

Perhaps someone with better eyes than I have can enlarge the image and get a better focus on the last word or title?

Just sorry I cannot be more helpful

Dibs.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure its LANCE, but doesn't look like CX (!!) before it. I'm not a military expert
mike

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
dib44, Was`nt the shoulder badge of the Royal Army Ordnance Corp just the capital letters ie, R.A.O.C? & the medical corp R.A.M.C?. Len.

Yes Len I wore the R.A.O.C. one and my mate R.E.M.E:)

bren

master brummie
To be honest i don't have much of a clue, just tried to enhance it in the hope it would make it easier for those that do. It obviously has a crease running along it casting a shadow and disfiguring the letters, as to what it says, i wouldn't even hazard a guesse and leave to those who know more than i do

bren

lencops

gone but not forgotten
Lloyd i agree it is Reconnaissance, could bluebrummie tell us if his g/uncle is alive and sadly not RIP & was he demobbed after WW2?. Len.