• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What happened to the 1964 Bull Forms in the Bull Ring

If there were 4 bulls were they intended to mark north, south, east and west ? Or were they positioned to mark the key entrances to the markets ? Or perhaps they were simply a decorative feature/trademark ?

It’s not like they’d be easy objects to move, transport elsewhere, or hide/store away. Someone who worked on the site or worked overlooking the site when it was redeveloped must remember seeing them moved or broken up. If moved, it’d take a large truck (and crane) to move them, something I doubt the press would have missed out on reporting.

Viv.

I have no experience of the new shopping venue in the Bull Ring which is now styled as one word - Bullring - and has it’s own bronze bull on display. I suppose a lot of money was paid to create a new image that differs from the previous shopping centre that I remember well. Not too sure if the first photo is a fibreglass sculpture.

Attachments

• F50910F0-B841-4407-915F-E883EF959A5C.jpeg
    F50910F0-B841-4407-915F-E883EF959A5C.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BC5BB1F8-0BB3-4F90-9A80-09180176CE27.jpeg
    BC5BB1F8-0BB3-4F90-9A80-09180176CE27.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 13
  • B55F3E8D-3E4A-4C00-BEEB-B80E84EB1F3E.jpeg
    B55F3E8D-3E4A-4C00-BEEB-B80E84EB1F3E.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 13
I have no experience of the new shopping venue in the Bull Ring which is now styled as one word - Bullring - and has it’s own bronze bull on display. I suppose a lot of money was paid to create a new image that differs from the previous shopping centre that I remember well. Not too sure if the first photo is a fibreglass sculpture.
Thanks Tinpot. Your first photo certainly shows one of the bulls high on the building. The Bullring spelling was introduced in 2003 with the new construction. You would certainly notice some changes from the old Bull Ring. One unexpected good one is that the view down to St Martin's is now uninterrupted.
The bronze bull is very popular especially with tourists.

Thanks Tinpot. Your first photo certainly shows one of the bulls high on the building. The Bullring spelling was introduced in 2003 with the new construction. You would certainly notice some changes from the old Bull Ring. One unexpected good one is that the view down to St Martin's is now uninterrupted.
The bronze bull is very popular especially with tourists.
Was there a specific reason for the name change? It would seem that it would be better to try to preserve such a considerable part of Birmingham's history!

I understood it was introduced by the company who own the bullring building. Possibly they hoped to be able to stop others using the name in any commercial venture?

I understood it was introduced by the company who own the bullring building. Possibly they hoped to be able to stop others using the name in any commercial venture?
Interesting, I thought the Bull Ring was a part of The City of Birmingham rather than an individual company or person.

The fourth bull would have been the one on the Woolworth Building by St Martins Church. Viv.

Attachments

• D72F064A-0443-42F0-A5D7-6AF8793005C6.jpeg
    D72F064A-0443-42F0-A5D7-6AF8793005C6.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 3
Perhaps also the innovative spelling was intended to mark a new start and break with the history of bull baiting with dogs?

Interesting, I thought the Bull Ring was a part of The City of Birmingham rather than an individual company or person.
The Bullring shopping centre is owned by Hammersons
That is the actual building, whereas, to my ming the Bull ring is the area, rather than the building

That is the actual building, whereas, to my ming the Bull ring is the area, rather than the building
I agree. The Bullring Centre is private property, a Mall in American terms. No photography without official permission.

Last edited:
I've had a reply from Birmingham Museums & Art Gallery archives.

'Unfortunately, we have no objects in the collection from the Copplestone bull mosaics - we have some items featuring the design including a flag from the 1980s and a broach with the mosaic motif and a few other things mainly from the 1970s and 80s but nothing directly related to the artist or the sculptures themselves.
We would also be very interested to find out what happened to them!'

Pretty much as I expected, I'm afraid.

My inquiry to Historic England is ongoing.

As Mike suggests, the Bull Ring was/is an area rather that a specific building at least we always thought!

I've had a reply from Birmingham Museums & Art Gallery archives.

'Unfortunately, we have no objects in the collection from the Copplestone bull mosaics - we have some items featuring the design including a flag from the 1980s and a broach with the mosaic motif and a few other things mainly from the 1970s and 80s but nothing directly related to the artist or the sculptures themselves.
We would also be very interested to find out what happened to them!'

Pretty much as I expected, I'm afraid.

My inquiry to Historic England is ongoing.
So much for archiving!

Back