• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What happened to Ernest Dryche Photography Birmingham?

nettiew

proper brummie kid
I'm writing a book about my Father's adagio dance act that toured theatres throughout Britain between 1932 - 1955. My Father came from Handsworth and the act (Les Cygne Four) often used Ernest Dyche for their main theatrical photographs.

I have a number of original theatrical photographs of Les Cygne Four, taken by Dyche (Ernest or Malcolm), they are beautiful, but I can't use any in my book unless I trace who owns the copyright.

I know there have been exhibitions of their old photos and I think the Birmingham Photography Archive may have some of their photos there, so will begin by asking them.

I'm not living in Birmingham so not really in the know. Has anyone any memories of Ernest Dyche or knowledge of what became of the firm i.e. did it continue with his son etc.??

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting. The Birmingham Post of May 1996 features an article...

"The Dyche Collection is now considered historically and culturally important because it captures a period of transition."

The Exhibition "Being Here' a collaboration between Drum Arts Centre and Birmingham Libraries.

Sounds very interesting. The Birmingham Post of May 1996 features an article...

"The Dyche Collection is now considered historically and culturally important because it captures a period of transition."

The Exhibition "Being Here' a collaboration between Drum Arts Centre and Birmingham Libraries.
Hi - thanks for your info. That's cool.

I'm not sure when Ernest Dyche died but his son Malcolm retired in 1989, donated all of the photos to Birmingham Library and died in 1991.
Considering Birmingham Libraries have held exhibitions of the work using derived images. That's probably the best place to ask about copyright.

I'm not sure when Ernest Dyche died but his son Malcolm retired in 1989, donated all of the photos to Birmingham Library and died in 1991.
Considering Birmingham Libraries have held exhibitions of the work using derived images. That's probably the best place to ask about copyright.
Ernest Dyche died in 1973, Ernest Malcolm Dyche died in 1990, I am Malcolm's step-son. In 1990 I gave most of the photos still at the studio to the Birmingham Libraries (including I think about 10,000 of glass negatives).
Many of the very early full plate glass negatives were sold many years ago for scrap, and in 1979 they had a bit of a clearout and sold these photo albums at Biddle & Webb
D1.jpg
The written 10 & 8 was the sold price minus 12 1/2% commission

Thanks for your reply. Wasn't sure when/if Malcolm Dyche had died. Thought he may have.

Back