• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

what did you get in your stocking in the 40"s

alana124

master brummie
I can remember an apple an orange and a handbag
we had our bedroom in the attic in cromwell st
with a brick out of the fire to keep us warm

a tangerine, apple, bit of chocolate (usually a small bar) and some brand new shiny coppers (usually only about a tanners worth - 2.1/2 pence now).
as for the hot house brick, mom did it once, and even though it was wrapped in a towel I still ended up with a burn/blister on the back of my leg the next morning.

I used to get that stuff in my stocking, and I was born in 1955. We still put apples, oranges, nuts, chocolates in our son's stocking.

Just after the war my earliest memory was of a receiving a small hair comb and nothing more.

I remember in the early 1950's poor children who could not afford a present in the Xmas Grotto at Henrys store were given a neckerchief filled with small plastic trinkets and sweets from a pirates chest.

Does anyone remember if it was Lewis's or the Coop who gave the children a ride in a large sleigh which looking out the window seemed as if it was moving along with snowflakes falling down the windows.

Louisa

Not quite old enough to remember the 40's,but in the 50's there would be tangerines,nuts,chocolates in the form of coins wrapped in gold or silver foil and maybe a little toy.And if really lucky there might be a train set downstairs under the Christmas tree.Happy days!

In the Late 1930s and through the 40s we always had a Pillow Case.

Books: Dot To Dot, Magic Painting, The odd Rupert, Dandy or Beano.

They got better Pop up Books.

Crayons, Reeves Water Colour Box. Snakes & Ladders, Ludo, Snap Cards.

The odd Car a Wooden Lancaster Bomber. a Jeep made of Chalk that didn't last long. A Heavy Metal Tank made by my Uncle Dick at work with Wheels I could hardly pick it up, nothing moved on it not even the Wheels.

Splended Book for Boys still got it

Apple Orange Sweets and may be some Nuts, a piece of Coal for Luck

We always put the last lot in our Lads Pillow Cases.

Last edited:
Just after the war my earliest memory was of a receiving a small hair comb and nothing more.

I remember in the early 1950's poor children who could not afford a present in the Xmas Grotto at Henrys store were given a neckerchief filled with small plastic trinkets and sweets from a pirates chest.

Does anyone remember if it was Lewis's or the Coop who gave the children a ride in a large sleigh which looking out the window seemed as if it was moving along with snowflakes falling down the windows.

Louisa

Hi Louisa

I was poor (still am) I never got any trinklets from Henry's. Its was the Co op that had the sleigh ride. It was in the Christmas Grotto and it was a room you had to go through to see Santa. You went in and sat down and a film of snow covered tree tops and houses was shown on the wall while the floor of the room rolled and undulated. When it finished you filed out of a door on the other side of the room into Santas Grotto.

Alana

All I ever got in my stockings was holes and thats when I had stockings

Phil

Well i dont go back to the 40s but in the 50s if we were lucky we always got a
tangerine &nuts and an apple in our sock,then depending on funds,paints very
big tin boxes,do you remember them,coloring books with the paints,and a couple of times a doll as well, i went to see father christmas twice, once at Henry's
and i can't rememeber the other place.But in the70s i have taken my son to see father xmas and then more recently my great niece and they are amazing, i have to say the best one was at Rackhams and they didn't charge any more than any of the others.i love xmas

Every Christmas since 1948, without fail, even when I lived on Gibraltar, in Germany and for the last 39 years in Italy, my Mum has always made sure I (and my two sisters and her grand-daughter) got a Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange. When at home in Blake Lane and on Christmas visits to Hobmoor Croft, it was always put in a stocking, pillowcase or, more recently, a Christmassy plastic bag together with the traditional nuts, chocolate money, coins, Cadbury’s Milk Chocolate bar, tangerines and nick-knacks.
It's going to be a tearful Christmas this year; Mum passed away in February.
Sadly, db84124

Somewhat out of era, but : in 1958 I got my best present ever, a cow-boy 'main-street' -composed off a jail-house, saloon and several other buildings...it was about 3'-3.5' long. I played with it all christmas morning until I was told to move from the floor and to put it across the arms of an easy chair, to clear space ready for xmas dinner for when my father returned home from laying a wreath at the family graves. However, when Dad arrived home he had clearly 'imbibed' somewhere along the way and sat down heavily in his armchair....and smashed my 'cow-boy street' into bits!
I can still remember the raging sense of unfairness...I was even blamed for putting it on the chair! How could he fail to see it??? I think I was in my mid-thirties before I finally lost that feeling of resentment! Tee hee...

Back