• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What’s this?

Kings Norton Sue

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone, perhaps you could help with me with this query. I found this poking out of the ground in a Northfield park years ago and always wondered what it is. It’s heavy (1.8kg), made of iron as it’s still flaking/rusting away and fits nicely into the palm/hand at 13x9.5cm. I think i might know what it is but wondered what everyone else thinks and what situation you would expect i might have found it in, if it was in situ.

Thanks, Sue

Attachments

• IMG_6556.jpeg
    IMG_6556.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6569.jpeg
    IMG_6569.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi everyone, perhaps you could help with me with this query. I found this poking out of the ground in a Northfield park years ago and always wondered what it is. It’s heavy (1.8kg), made of iron as it’s still flaking/rusting away and fits nicely into the palm/hand at 13x9.5cm. I think i might know what it is but wondered what everyone else thinks and what situation you would expect i might have found it in, if it was in situ.

Thanks, Sue
It is difficult to understand the form of the object with only one view.

Could you describe what the top and bottom look like and give a rough size of the object please?
john the size and weight is on post 1

hi sue there is nothing wrong with the size of your photo but could you maybe take a couple more from different angles please

lyn

I think Sue means another photo needs resizing in order to be able to post it.
Right click and open with Paint. Click on resize (towards left of toolbar,) and enter 20. Then "save as" so you still have your original. Upload the copy.

I think Sue means another photo needs resizing in order to be able to post it.
Right click and open with Paint. Click on resize (towards left of toolbar,) and enter 20. Then "save as" so you still have your original. Upload the copy.
hi Janice, thanks, yes you’re right. I bought an ipad to make life easier but i can’t get the damn thing to do anything! I’m new to this and don’t really know what I’m doing. I can take a smaller photo but only from far away…i would laugh at my incompetence but it’s very frustrating (I have googled doing it). I’ll try again and hope.

john the size and weight is on post 1

hi sue there is nothing wrong with the size of your photo but could you maybe take a couple more from different angles please

lyn
hi, i have more but almost every photo is 4MB or more and won’t upload except by cropping it. As i said aaaargh..

hi, i have more but almost every photo is 4MB or more and won’t upload except by cropping it. As i said aaaargh..

PhotoRazor is a good method to reduce photo sizes. It's free & it's easy to use. I don't know if there is an ipad version though

This app is one of many designed for iPads

Last edited:
Yes, there were quite a few small steel works in Birmingham. People used to collect furnace slag too. In Overseal, South Derbshire there are garden walls buily from the glazed slag form the pipworks kilns.

hi Janice, thanks, yes you’re right. I bought an ipad to make life easier but i can’t get the damn thing to do anything! I’m new to this and don’t really know what I’m doing. I can take a smaller photo but only from far away…i would laugh at my incompetence but it’s very frustrating (I have googled doing it). I’ll try again and hope.
It is the memory size. Sending you a PM - check envelope top right next to your avatar.

hi sue even looking at your updated photos on post 1 i have no idea im afraid...could you give us the exact location of where you found it

lyn

Not sure what the problem was as these all uploaded straight away. A couple are repeats but I have left them.

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 25
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 19
it depends what was on the ground before the park...can you give us the location and maybe we can check earlier maps for you

lyn
Hi, thanks lyn. Can i post screenshots of maps or are they all copyrighted? It’s Ley Hill park and it’s always been a fields or golf course/park as far as i know. I think Chris Dwyer wrote about it’s history.

Attachments

• IMG_6615.jpeg
    IMG_6615.jpeg
    517.7 KB · Views: 17
question - was the park used in WW2 for any training?
It looks like they did. These are not parch marks but the other type, from a gully or similar? This is from the flat top green football pitch/space near the building.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Attachment-2.jpeg
    Attachment-2.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Attachment-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Attachment-3.jpeg
    Attachment-3.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Interesting that, the area does not look like it had been industrialised. The Elan Aqueduct runs a few yards to the south of the find site, so am wondering if its either from the excavations or a piece of iron pipework.

It really looks like slag to me.
It did to me too. I found it poking out of the hillside in a small rise of 12” or so, way up the top of the hillside far away from the aqueduct. It did look in situ to me as the soil around was undisturbed and that got me thinking about conditions needed to make iron in this way. I recall reading a furnace dug into a blowy hillside was the way to do it.
It really looks like slag to me.

For uses such as this forum there is no copyright issues.

it depends what was on the ground before the park...can you give us the location and maybe we can check earlier maps for you

lyn

PhotoRazor is a good method to reduce photo sizes. It's free & it's easy to use. I don't know if there is an ipad version though

This app is one of many designed for iPads
Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

Back