• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Western road u.d.??

kat

Ex Brummie
Hi
I am trying to find out what the abbreviations in the 'Western Road U.D' mean. I am assuming that Western Road U.D. is a hospital??? I am taking the information from a death certificate issued in 1939 in the County of Borough of Birmingham. Can anyone shed light on this abbreviation? This would be much appreciated.

Hi Kat

Yes there was a Hospital in Western Road it was the old Work House

U.D Urban District

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Many thanks for reply, I presume by 1939 it had became a geriatric hospital ? I was in England 2 months ago and visited someone in Dudley Road Hospital and I believe i came accross this old building, Thanks Kat

kat
yes that is true it became a giriatic hospital for the elderly
i went there to see my grand mother in the sixty,s and i went with my mother to
see my dads mother whom was very old and frail ,but by golly i was so sorry to go
into the ward and i never knew just how far the human skin can stretch
these elderly people was being supported by straps to there arms to keep them
suported up it looked like they was sheets on te bed but no ,its was sheets of
skin it brought tears to my eyes and i had to leve the ward and wait for mom to
come out it also smelt of death in there it was horrible
best wishes astonian ,;;;;

Many thanks for all those replys to Western Road U.D Iam surprised my Grandmother would be in there, sounds an awful place.

Names I am researching;
Lippett, Ilott, Linforth, Horsley (Horseley)

Peters mom passed away in there in the 60's. Not a nice place at all but the nurses did their best. Jean.

Hi all, I think the place you are talking about was also known as 'Summerfield(s) House' ??? I remember as a child, about 8, that my grandad went into that place and died there shortly after admission. It was always spoken about in hushed tones by the grown ups but I clearly remember one of the things said about it that has stayed vividly in my memory, and that was that "Once they go in there, they come out in a box" I believe the elderly, having been admitted to Dudley Road Hospital would be transferred there if they deteriorated beyond a certain point and there was an expectancy, an acceptance, almost, that this is where it will end. Fortunately the advances in geriatric medicine and a far more enlightened approach to the care of the elderly have all but eradicated that kind of mindset. I remember my Nan, and my Moms response to the news that Grandad had been taken in there though - it was as if he had gone already, such was the inevitability of it all - so sad . . . . . . . . .

Back