• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wesleyan Church - Cumberland Street

lisa cotterrell

master brummie
Hi all

dont know if anyone can help me. I have been told that my great grandfather was buried at a wesleyan church near or on cumberland street, birmingham.
Apparently this was bombed during the war I think, and i want to find out what happened to the graves, were they moved. Also where could I find out if that is where he is or was buried.

any help grateful, you have all been soooo helpful already.

lisa

Re: Wesleyan Church

any information on the wesleyan church in birmingham at all? Does this still exist anywhere that i could enquire?

apparently church was bombed and i want to find out what happened to the graves there.

thanks

lisa

i lived in the area 1928-52 but dont recall a church or graveyard in cumberland st. on broad st corner was bush house the housing dept. later the crescent theatre moved to a site in the street but most of the street was factories

thank you for that, i will have to keep digging!!

while on the subject of cumberland st, on the 1911 census it shows my great grandmother and her children living at 5 cumberland street. her occupation is listed as caretaker. do you think she maybe lived onsite where she worked?

(think maybe the living relative I have found was maybe confusing where they lived with where my great grandfather was buried).

Hi Macca

Thanks for that, had a quick look but will have to go into more detail when I get time as I havent a clue where any of the churches or burial grounds are.

All I know is they lived in cumberland street, so guessing it is going to be fairly close to that, but who knows.

Thank you

Lisa

Lisa
The 1900 kellys lists a number of churches as Wesleyan In later years they are just called methodist. One in the Islington circuit was in St Martins St. and later called the Islington methodist church. Not very close, but close enough to attend. But it is still listed in 1944, although in 1949 , still called a church it seems to possibly house government departments, but this is not clear
Mike

HI

Thanks for all the help, I found out that although my great grandfather was wesleyan, he was buried at St Thomas's on Bath Row, so is now in a catacomb in Warstone cemetary, in with everyone else from the grave yard with no names recorded which is a bit of a shame. still at least we know where he is now.

thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Lisa

just a note to anyone who took the time to help with this post. We eventually found out that my great grandfather was Wesleyan, but was almost certainly buried at St Thomas Bath Row, which was bombed in ww2, all remains were removed and put in un-named catacombs at Key Hill Cemetary. Nice they have made it into a peace garden now, but sad it is not a bit more loved.

Back