• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Weoley Castle pub

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI GUYS
Iam just wondering whether or not of you drinkers of the yester years ever drank in the old weoly castle pub ;as itwas then in weoly castle about eight years ago
since them days the pub as alot of chequered history and as been remodernised with what appears to be plastic windows as any body got a picture of the old weoly as it was in those days ;
also the reason i am writing a request about the pub is because the old gather if any body remembers him
a little fella ; by the name of graham ; he was a friend of mine but surpriseingly we later became neibours to each other out here in worcestershire unsupectingly by chance
he was a part of team licence.es whom the M;B brewers sent us all about thirty of us
to dublin to see how they managed there pubs and to se if we could learn from them; grah ;
was one of them we have a photo of the team of us together taken in the guiness factory which i will be copying and given to his new wife whom he married about nine months ago i have is wlife jackie of the tails
of his pub but she as never seen it ; he of course did tell her about it ;
but sadly graham as died he will be burried on friday so i thought if i could get a picture of his old pub for his wife jackie to put with his belonging for keep sake ;
many years ago in the fifties jackie used to work at the RSPCA on lichfield rd before it moved down the rd
and she then moved out to worcestershire she orinated from wales to aston hen to worcesteshire
i would really appreciate it if its possiblethat some one as goyt a picture of the old weoly castle
many thanks and best wishes to you all alan ;; astonian;;;;;

Re: Weoly Castle pub

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Astonian..I haven't been able to find an old photo as yet but hopefully this will do for now..

Weoley Castle Pub2.jpg

hi lindy ;
many thanks for that picture i can recall that when they replaced those windows some time back ;
if it was possible to get hold another older one would be greatstill that will do for now i will down load it on to photographic paper and pop it next door to dear old jackie as she never knew the area nor the pub ;
i feel very much for jackie as she as only been married to grah for such a short time and he as died ; the part i say i feel for her its because before graham she was married to a nice popular guy for years and he died of cancer and she was on her own until grah come along ; so its her second husband she as lost to death ;her previous marrige to ken ;whom died after a long life but it was eighteen monthsafter ken died she met grah and in the last few months from the begining of this year they got married and suddley died its ironic really linds i think it was is dog whom he had for many years died on him two months ago so i think it broke is heart ; but any way linds ;i hae seen some of your wedding pics you look teriffic both you and the groom
so once again congratulation and all the best for the future hope you both live long and endure a healthy life systle together
robert yes grah ran a couple of pubs during is time as licencee i think previously before they knocked it down for the petrol station was the calinfonion up the rd ;

linds and robert best wishes to you both and have your self a nice day best wishes alan ;; astonian

Hi Astonian, I will keep looking for an older one.
I feel for your friend too, what a tragedy, I do hope that she will be ok..
Thank you for your lovely comment and best wishes Alan.. :) xx

this pub brings back memories .it was my very first day as a barmaid ..id never done it before .and when a bloke came in and asked for a pint of snakebite .i thought he was taking the mick.

sandracoley, lots of pubs wont serve snakebites, too strong. In Whitby I had to buy two seperate drinks and mix them myself, and I was drinking "Rocket Fuel" Newcastle Brown and Cider.
jimbo

hi jimbo ..i was going back to around 1976..id just split up with my husband and a friend of a friend offered me the job ...i didnt have a clue and told him so but he said ill give you a chance....i lasted one day .i was terrified .more ale went on the floor than in the glass .

HI JIMBO;
Just read your thread where you could not get a snake bite ; well its not a comon thing most pubs and gaffers will not allow you or serve you to one of these deadly pints as it can send you barmy and gets you p;;;;;;s and the next thing you know you have a fight or touble in your pub ;
and another things gaffers do not like in there pub ; and they tell the brewery managerment they do not want the pool table in there pub
yes it certainly takes alot of money revenue but it also causes big big fights and trouble
one incidence a man had his arm severed by a gang in the red lion at acocks green many years ago and also the mercat pub in the market
the pub behind the old wholsale market in birmingham; had a snooker que pushed into is eyes and killed him; this guy was a big drinker at my old pub ;
seamus tighe nice guy and an old blue nose member ;thats the trouble with pool tables in your pub; there are variuos other drinks a gather will not serve you ; and the thread that sandra wrote about her first exopperience of working behind the bar for the first time ;
she is not alone there they all get thejitters in pulling a pint for the first time . and yes there is a knack to it l
without spillage the spillage is the gaffers profit and stocks ; which if to many time his stock losses are reported to the area manager by there stock man whom comes and counts the entire stock of the pub ; and then the brewerry want to know where its gone
some people think its like haveing your own bar at home haveing a private party
i have had people tell me they are experience and worked in a bar before but you can tell with some-one if they have the experience by there first pint
they pull i had one young lady told me a story that she had experience ; on her first day she turned up with a note pad and pen ; i asked and whatched her
she could not pull a pint pproper it was all over the place and behind the pump thereis little stickers to remind the staffthe prices of half and full pints
on every tap ; the woman could not had up the cost and price of two different beers she pulled
i waited and whatched fromthe end of he bar and she was rying to work out the price of two pints on paper on her note paper i asked her what was she doing and said i am toting up the price of the two beers ; i just sacked her there and then ; so yes sandra ; you was not alone on that issue its a commom thing
people think its easy for soe one to walk behind the bars and serve and for the managent its a twenty four hour job;
you never turn off even if you have a day or night off you are constanly doing some think or wodering whethe or not is it running down stairs okay
for trouble or is your beer going over the counter freely to friends and family as it does happen butif you have required goodstaff they will look after you like wise the old saying ; look after your staff they will look after you ;when and if i started any new staff the first thing i wopuld have said to them if you want a drink asked me and get one but do not touch m tills or other wise you are gone from here ;thank god there was only two incidence that i had ever experience
through out the years we had experience through out our time of years running pubs and clubs in general people are honest
but as the going says theres always one bad apple in the barrel ; best wishes astonian;

Astonian, you are so right about how you treat your staff. My mother was a barmaid for most of her married life; Punch Bowl, Monarch, Court Oak. Honest as the day was long, she would not let any of the other bar staff use "her till". Refused to serve me or my mates until we were 18. My brother tried it for a short time. His downfall was when someone asked for a cigar and a pint. He gave them the cigar out of the tin, then proceeded to pull the pint, straight into the cigar tin.
jimbo

I remember "The Castle Inn", Alan, I drank there many times, as a matter of fact my dad a tee-total took me for my one and only drink with him in 1964, on leave from the army. I drank at the "Raven", and "The California", and the "Stone House".
paul

Paul, the Raven has been pulled down and they are in the process of building something on the land, the "Cally" is long gone. It's a BP petrol station now. The Stonehouse can't make up it's mind!!! It's shut, it's open, its shut, it's open. At the moment it's still open. Do you remember when they used to have the Whippet races there?
jimbo

Hi Jimbo, thanks for the news from my old home in Weoley Castle, I used to live in Milcote Road!, I went to school at Our Lady, Gregory Avenue, and Ilmington Road. I remember the Whippet Races, and the Bare knuckle fights down the quarry by the cut. As a kid would watch the Archaeologsts digging at the Weoley Castle site, Seems a life time ago now.
paul

The name dos ring a dim and distant bell, weston, but for the life of me cannot recollect where or how. This is not surprising as at times I do have a problem remembering my own name.
paul

Back