• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wenman street

Jacko,

Wenman St Gospel Hall Sunday School Summer Outing to Evesham July 1964.
Possibly you are in one of these photos.
Does anyone recognise themselves?

Regards Brian
12-10-2011_013.jpg12-10-2011_014.jpg12-10-2011_015.jpg12-10-2011_016.jpg

196409EveshamWenmanStSSAdultsDianeMyraGwenEddieAlbert.jpg

Phil,

Thanks so very much for giving me the link to the old maps web site. It is great.

Brian

Mike,

This is great I had Islington Terr confused with Brighton Terr. Thanks for the clarification.

Brian

Wenman St Gospel Hall Sunday School Summer Outing to Evesham August 1963.
The girls in the paddle boats were in Class 1 Girls, my class.
The bathing girls would now be about 60 years old. Does anyone own up to being one of them?
Brian Essery

196308D03WenmanStSSEveshamDavidCampionMrsGreenAgnesCrossJohnGilbertRoseEsseryKateTimmsMarionGilb.jpg196308D02WenmanStSSEvesham.jpg

amazing pictures I lived directly opposite the church , 99 wenman st bring back so many memories .

amazing pictures I lived directly opposite the church , 99 wenman st bring back so many memories .

Was this the house you lived in in Wenman Street?

Attachments

• 1960DavidGilbert21BdayWenmanStBalsellHeath1.jpg
    1960DavidGilbert21BdayWenmanStBalsellHeath1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 50
Pearson place was down the side of 99 wenman st , there were 4 houses down there and you had to write on any correspondence 1/99 wenman st , the letters usually got there, we lived opposite a church up some stone steps which eventually turned into wenmans boys club in 1962

Lotty & Brian, just on the left of the photo, you can see the name of a business, was it a sweet manufacturer? Bluebird Toffee keeps coming to mind. I lived in Gosford Street and went to Sunday School at the church on the corner of Nutty Hill, I think they used fuzzy felt things to tell us bible stories, this would be 1950's. We stopped going because my sister used to be quite poorly with childhood illnesses and you had to have a certain amount of attendances to go to the Christmas parties, they said that I could go but my sister couldn't, as they knew my parents wouldn't have kept her off unless there was a good reason, they still said rules were rules. Mom and dad were not very happy and said we couldn't go again. It was sad because we loved going.

Dear Tavernes,
I was fascinated to read your story, so Knutsford St was locally known as Nutty Hill, and what a hill it was. Some of the older people had great difficulty walking up it from Mary Street to the Chapel. If you look on page 1 I have written what I know about the company name, but really now cannot recall it. I have also lost contact with the Coopers. The two sons David and Roger should still be alive aged about 70, but I have no idea where.
The fuzzy felt things you write about were called Flannel Graphs, and these were used in the primary class, which was held in the room on the front left of the main hall. I was in that class in 1950, but in 1951 I moved into the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] class of Boys in the main hall.
It made me sad and ashamed to read the last part of your story, I knew that a minimum number of attendances were required to get a prize, but only have a vague memory that this was also true of the Christmas Party. I can understand how your Dad felt. Rules were harsh in those days it would seem. The teachers of the Primary Class were my Aunts Mrs G and Miss K Timms. Aunt Gwen led the class and told the stories and Aunt Kate helped with the children. (There photos are on earlier pages.)
Lots of children loved coming, I remember on the day of the last Sunday School in 1966, when the church closed and was soon demolished, together with the whole area, none of the children wanted to go home, they could not believe Sunday School had closed, however they were soon relocated to various parts of Birmingham.
I now live in Australia.
Brian

Hi,
I can see this thread has been unused for some 18 months or so but for a short while in the early 60's I was one of a number of Wilmot Breeden apprentices who helped out at Wenman St boys club. There was one occasion when a football match had been arranged at Daisy Farm near the Maypole. There were supposed to be a number of cars to take the team along to the game but I was the only one to turn up so the whole team were "shoe horned" into a Wolseley NF14, an old four door saloon with running boards. Even in those pre safety belt days there must have been a rule about a dozen people in car made for five.

Wenman Street, Balsall Heath , Birmingham in June 1962.
30725738_2146305922052313_5778275710992908288_n.jpg

These two photos show either end of Wenman Street, the first one shows the junction of Wenman Street and Edward Road, at the end of the streets time by the look of it and I would date it mid 70's. The second one shows the junction of Balsall Heath Road and looks to be sometime at the end of the 1800's.So the beginning and end of the street on both counts.

Balsall Heath Edward Rd - Wenman St.jpg

Balsall Heath Jct Wenman St & Balsall Heath Rd .jpg

While the top picture was at the end of Wenman Street, what you're seeing is Edward Road in front of the shop and Vincent Street behind it. Wenman Street would be off to the left of the picture and running to the left with only a slight angle toward the top of the picture.
Given the new houses on Vincent Street, Wenman Street may have been demolished and disconnected by then.

Wam

Vincent Street ran from Wenman Street to Moseley Road and Wenman Street ran from Edward Road to Balsall Heath Road Perhaps this is why the shop in question has a Wenman Street name displayed on the frontage facing us. I was born in Vincent Street in 1947 and my grandparents who incidentally were friends of the owner of that shop in the 60's remained in Vincent Street until it was demolished in the late 70's.

There used to be another shop next to that shop which was on the corner of Vincent Street, I remember that the Co-op milk float used to stop there every day whilst the horse was fed and watered and the float was refilled with full crates from a lorry.

Last edited:
Hello Members

My grandmother Barbara Harrison lived on Wenman Street and was born here in 1935, would anyone remember her family? Thomas and Leah Harrison?

Hi currerbell

Welcome to you, have you any idea of the number of the house that your grandmother lived at, although I did know a couple of families that lived in Wenman Street I am afraid that names escape me now, even so 1935 would be a little early for me.

Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome.

From what I know I think it was on Mount Terrace, 3/61 Wenman St. My grandmother was born back 61/19 Wenman St.
I understand not everyone will know/remember but thought I would ask!
Regards...

Was involved with this youth club in early 1960's.

I remember this club from way back, it was owned by St Johns Catholic School when I attended that school in the early 50's. We used to jaunt there and back each dinner time for school dinners from Mary Street.

Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome.

From what I know I think it was on Mount Terrace, 3/61 Wenman St. My grandmother was born back 61/19 Wenman St.
I understand not everyone will know/remember but thought I would ask!
Regards...

Hi currerbell,

The two addresses you give would have been more or less opposite each other on Mount Terrace. One behind Greens shop (in my day) and the other behind the Crown public house. The Green's that owned the shop were good friends of my grandmother.

Hi Phil, she was born in 1935 and lived there for at least ten years as she told me about the street being bombed in WW2. Then she and her family moved to Gospel Lane.
Im sure the Crown was frequented by my great grandfather as he liked his drink...a bit too much Ive heard...

currerbell

You did realise that the photo at post #48 is of Mount Terrace? I'd go as far as to say that the house to the right of the woman in the photo is number 3.

Back