• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wellhead Lane

I

InTrouble

It was always a standing joke in my family, that our visits to Nan C would entail
a)she'd be in the front room window looking out for us - I NEVER saw inside that front room....it was out of bounds.
b)lunch was boiled egg. 2 for Dad, who poured vinegar into his, one each for the rest of us.
Her cooker smelled funny once lit. I never forgot that. But nice, I thought.
The back room consisted of a heavy table, a few wooden chairs and a 'comfy' chair. Only Dad was allowed the comfy chair (Grandad was dead)
On the table I thought it was a carpet, but Mom says it was a chenille tablecloth? Heavy and thick.
A clock on the old sideboard that did 'that' chime, every 15 mins. Loved it!
Begins with W, the chime....sorry, I forget.
She had a verandah full of chrysanths, and a fab weather thingy, with a man wih a brolly and a lady with parasol. Whatever weather was expected showed which of this fine couple came out.
She also had a cellar, where the eggs & milk etc were kept. No fridge. Occasionally I'd turn the key & lock her down there, giggling at the cries of "let me out" later.
I remember that as we sat in the back room, the most constant sound was that of the clock ticking. It drowned out any chatter.
There was never any fire or heating in the back room, we just kept our coats on.
I'm not sure if Nan's house was a compulsory purchase, but think so. The Bus Station wanted the land to expand.
Either way, Nan got a modern, heated flat with all mod cons....and was dead within a year.
I also remember when she lived at Wellhead Lane....one day we were visiting and there was a massive BANG, the house shook violently. It was an explosion from the ammo factory down the road.
I can't remember any more, sorry. Will post if I do.
Tess x

and a fab weather thingy, with a man wih a brolly and a lady with parasol. Whatever weather was expected showed which of this fine couple came out.
Tess x

Was that a wee house with the man and woman each standing in a doorway? And from memory a thermometer between them?

My grandparents had one in Sydney, Australia. If it was the same they sure got around.

Doug

Tess, that was so well described, I felt I was there with you.
They must have sold thousands of those weather thingies , because both lots of my grandparents had one. we called them "the weather people".
Great stuff, keep it coming.

I can't find a specific thread on the Wellhead pub so have put this on here. My grandad is the first man front row on the left Jean.

My main memory of Wellhead Lane as a child was seeing a Pantomime performed at the Bus Garage by members of staff, or their relatives. It was excellent and the leading lady was lovely - fell in love with her! My other memory was that I bought my first car from a garage on the corner of Wellhead Lane and Aldridge Rd.

Is my memory playing tricks but I seem to remember playing Youth Club football on some pitches in Wellhead lane1950/1/2 ish ,as i recall they were very stoney and hard cheers Tom
icon7.gif

Tom there were pitches at the back of the bus depot that were part of Ansells sports and social club. There were not any more to my knowledge. TTFN. Jean.

Ansells sport field was up Holford Drive, our school used to use it.

What I remeber of Wellhead Lane was the perfumary of the bakelite works.

Nice photo Jean...now I am wondering ...what was in the bucket?.

Our lads played for Ansells boys and the IMI had playing fields too opposite the yip. Ray I too wondered what the bucket was for. The two dogs look like they were related. Jean.

Ansells sport field was up Holford Drive, our school used to use it.

What I remeber of Wellhead Lane was the perfumary of the bakelite works.

Nice photo Jean...now I am wondering ...what was in the bucket?.

Ray i,m with Jean on this one i used to plat tennis every Sunday morning with my then partner the entrance to the sports grond was on the corner in Wellhead Lane you could see the best pitch from Holford Drive but the large football area was I.M.I. Two large electrical Switch gear companys that were located in wellhead Lane were Bill switch gear and Ellisons Switchgear. Dek

Dek we used to play tennis and squash at the club as Pete worked for Ansells and we didn't have to pay. Jean.

Dec,
I do remember watching Ansells football team play up Halford Drive,perhaps it was a one off.
What springs to mind was the guinness they drank at half time instead of sucking a lemon.

Ray they used to play against the IMI and I used to ride my uncles pony on that field. It's covered in rabbits each time we go past. You are correct about the half time sustanence as my brother played for them. Jean

That photo Jean...a moment in time,we shall never know what was in the bucket,if it was food, the dog's would have their noses in it.A guess would be it's Sunday morning,they are wearing their good suits,and look at the shine on their boot's...fascinating.

Inside the same pub.
My granny,in the light coloured coat at the front.Jean's nan three ladies to her right.

One of the last photo's of nan and maybe Ray will recognise the group photo. I think the houses backed onto Wellhead Lane?. TTFN. Jean.

Ive played on Ellison's sports ground in 1950/51 with Aldridge Rd school against Upper Thomas ST in the Ansell's Shield cant remember the score but Aldridge won . the same year I played at Villa Park against Waverly rd Grammar school ,we drew the game and shared the cup we had the Home dressing room s and what a scramble for who sat where and I cannot describe the feelings to be playing on the same pitch as the Villa players including Welsh centre forward Trevor Ford as we ran out onto the pitch cheers Tom
icon7.gif

Ray nan is second from the left front row. What was your nans full name Ray as I have a list of nans neighbours somewhere?. Jean.

Hello Jean,
I knew which one was your nanny Pem,I didn't describe her position very well.
My granny was Hannah Florence Barrett...always known as Florrie.

Back