• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wedding Presents

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
When we got married the wedding list hadn't seen light of day. We had such a lot of fun buying all of the basics ourselves, things like potato peelers and baking tins. Close family said what they were going to give us, and one friend said she wanted us to have the latest waste bin for the kitchen, it had a LID.

I have a pouffe, very 1950's bought by an Aunt and Uncle, which I treasure. There is one dinner plate left, a red pyrex mixing bowl and a cake tin. Sally has my chopping board, a wooden one with a now faded red polka dot boarder which matched our Midwinter tea set, bought from Woolworths but long gone now.

Somehow without the list we didn't even double up on the toaster. Yes we had one of those too, it had hinged sides that dropped down to flip the toast over. :D

A Goblin Teasmade

I have a Stainless Steel carving dish with a matching knife and fork, electric knife, teapot, cutlery, glasses, and until last year a breville toaster, that were bought us as wedding pressies and are still in frequent use.
My work colleagues had a whip round and treated us to a Goblin Teasmade - which was such a lovely pressy and we used it for years and years - when we moved home, it was duly packed away, and it remained in the loft - until - my son announced that he was moving to an apartment with his g/f, and on his wish list was a teasmade! I said there might be more stuff in the loft that would be useful for a new home maker, to which he replied 'I dont want anything too fancy'!It appears minimalism and teasmades 'work'. :roll:

I've got me wedding suit (the only one I've got), which has shrunk in girth considerably from being hung in a wardrobe for all those years, and I've got my wife. Up until a couple of years ago we had the Tricity fridge that was a pressie from Gail's place of work. When having the kitchen done up we decided to replace it and a seperate freezer with a great big wonderful Hotpoint Freezer/Fridge which just lasted out the 12 months guarantee. :?

Can't think of anything else - definitely no crockery left. That was all smashed at various times when being thrown at me. 8)

same here with the crockery mind you after 47+3engaged years what can you expect while we courting thinking off getting married we spent most weekends prior to our wedding day down the Bull Ring buying all manner of things for our bottom drawer it was lots of fun watching and buying from the crock man he had a way of throwing cups plates and saucers with out breaking them my wife never learned how to emmilate is juggling thats why we have none of them left the things you could buy from the markets except for the furniture which we bought up the Lozells road I still remember those days with fondness perhaps that's the reason we have survived all these years starting married life doing things together

I'm not sure what we have left of the things that were bought as presents, but I still have Bren :lol: :lol: :lol: She seems to have lasted well though...

what's left..?

:D Well like the others have said I still have the other 1/2. I also have a Copper bottom saucpan and some table napkins, the table cloth that matches them my son now has, the napkins were not needed "Everyone uses paper ones now Mom" . :)

:D Forgot to add, everything else was passed around to friends. I was only allowed to bring one trunk to NZ and with a new baby on the way and being told baby goods were cheaper in the UK in 1970 than here in NZ baby things took priority 8)

We still use the Arther Price cutlery set that my OH Grandfather gave us for a wp :lol: Also siting on our very 70s looking Welshdresser is a very 70s looking brown coffee set also a wg from my brother, the wd was the first item of furniture we ever bought it needs replacing as it looks tatty but we can't bring ourselves to part with it for sentimental reasons :( I also remember buying a black mock leather soffa from Dudleys on the corner of Grove Lane and the Soho Road did any one else ever purchase any furniture from this shop it seemed to be a very popular place to shop during the 60s and 70s?

Wedding pressies

One of our wedding presents was a fondu set. We hadn't got a clue what it was suposed to be for, so it ended up in my shed for melting my woodworking glue :roll:

I still have a number of wedding presents (from 1957) still in use, a tea service, water jug and glasses (remember those) a few tablecloths, cutlery, fruit set, a vase given to us by our landlady when we started off in rooms in Small Heath, and I still use a colander and teapot from Bulpitts
Swan brand, my mother worked with a lady who had a family member work there and I had a set of saucepans, frying pan etc., through her.
I also still have a red plastic clothes basket bought in 1959 when my son was born!!!!

Back