• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Webley Gunmakers - information requested

These are some of the Webley products, on offer in a Parker Hale catalogue from 1956.

The 1956 price list in the back of the catalogue is enough to make one weep, until remembering what the average wage was likely to be.

"an average salary at the time in 1956 was just £478, which comes to around £11,325 currently"

Steve.

The British Bull Dog was a popular type of solid-frame pocket revolver introduced by Philip Webley & Son of Birmingham, England, in 1872, and subsequently copied by gunmakers in continental Europe and the United States. It featured a 2.5-inch (64 mm) barrel and was chambered for .442 Webley or .450 Adams cartridges, with a five-round cylinder. Webley produced smaller scaled .320 Revolver and .380 calibre versions later, butdid not mark them with the British Bull Dog name
The Bulldog was popular in Britain and America. US Army general, George Armstrong Custer, was said to have carried a pair at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. British Bull Dog revolvers were issued to employees of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company until 1895

1687528881278.png
From Wikipedia

The British Bull Dog was a popular type of solid-frame pocket revolver introduced by Philip Webley & Son of Birmingham, England, in 1872, and subsequently copied by gunmakers in continental Europe and the United States. It featured a 2.5-inch (64 mm) barrel and was chambered for .442 Webley or .450 Adams cartridges, with a five-round cylinder. Webley produced smaller scaled .320 Revolver and .380 calibre versions later, butdid not mark them with the British Bull Dog name
The Bulldog was popular in Britain and America. US Army general, George Armstrong Custer, was said to have carried a pair at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. British Bull Dog revolvers were issued to employees of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company until 1895

View attachment 181239
From Wikipedia
That is a good-looking revolver!

Webley & Scott Field Cannon​

1702748132018.jpeg

Webley & Scott Field Cannon barrel is made from forged alloy steel bar and has a 50mm smooth bore which allows it to be held on a UK Shotgun Certificate. The breech uses an interrupted thread system, the same as the original, which locks and unlocks by rotating only 60 degrees. As the breech rotates to unlock, it also automatically cocks the firing mechanism. Once loaded, the Webley & Scott Field Cannon, proved by The Birmingham Proof House for 2lb of shot driven by 1/4lb of black powder, is fired by lanyard. The Field Cannon’s carriage is a steel plate fabrication using traditional hot closed steel rivets. The wheels are crafted using English oak and ash and were made by Mike Rowland from Devon, Wheelwright to Queen Elizabeth II.​

i would like one on my sgc

At a guide price of £25,000 plus VAT, the Webley & Scott Classic 12-pound Field Cannon is manufactured in the UK
View attachment 186980

Webley & Scott Field Cannon​

View attachment 186981

Webley & Scott Field Cannon barrel is made from forged alloy steel bar and has a 50mm smooth bore which allows it to be held on a UK Shotgun Certificate. The breech uses an interrupted thread system, the same as the original, which locks and unlocks by rotating only 60 degrees. As the breech rotates to unlock, it also automatically cocks the firing mechanism. Once loaded, the Webley & Scott Field Cannon, proved by The Birmingham Proof House for 2lb of shot driven by 1/4lb of black powder, is fired by lanyard. The Field Cannon’s carriage is a steel plate fabrication using traditional hot closed steel rivets. The wheels are crafted using English oak and ash and were made by Mike Rowland from Devon, Wheelwright to Queen Elizabeth II.​

i would like one on my sgc

At a guide price of £25,000 plus VAT, the Webley & Scott Classic 12-pound Field Cannon is manufactured in the UK
View attachment 186980
Interesting that it qualifies for a shot gun certificate.

it is Built to address the growing re-enactment market,​

the Webley & Scott Field Cannon is a scaled down version of the Classic Quick Firing 12-pounder Field Cannon. The Quick Firing 12-pounder gun was a common 3-inch (76 mm) calibre naval gun brought into British service in 1894 where it remained in active use until at least 1945. While being a common gun, its place in British Military history was immortalised through use during the Boer War where Naval guns were taken ashore, fitted with makeshift carriages and sent to assist the Army. The Boer War events were commemorated every year at the Royal Tournament Gun Run until the late 1990’s.​

I still have my Webley ‘Jaguar’ air rifle - a birthday present from 1964. This was a junior weapon, and came with a bottle of oil, pellets, and a target holder with paper targets. It’s definitely a budget rifle, not particularly accurate but gave my brother and me hours of fun ‘plinking’ tin cans in the garden. I would imagine that this sort of activity, would nowadays result in a knock on the door from the local constabulary (or worse), but felt pretty harmless then. Our yard had an end terrace wall at the bottom end, and a wall along one side and so formed a natural shooting gallery.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 9
I still have my Webley ‘Jaguar’ air rifle - a birthday present from 1964. This was a junior weapon, and came with a bottle of oil, pellets, and a target holder with paper targets. It’s definitely a budget rifle, not particularly accurate but gave my brother and me hours of fun ‘plinking’ tin cans in the garden. I would imagine that this sort of activity, would nowadays result in a knock on the door from the local constabulary (or worse), but felt pretty harmless then. Our yard had an end terrace wall at the bottom end, and a wall along one side and so formed a natural shooting gallery.
not necessarily if the projectiles don't leave your garden

Shotguns (Section 2 Firearms under the 1968 Act as amended) are defined in UK law as smoothbore firearms with barrels not shorter than 24 inches (61 cm) and a bore not larger than 2 inches (5.1 cm) in diameter, no revolving cylinder, and either no magazine or a non-detachable magazine that is not capable of holding more than two cartridges, plus one in the chamber;

Shotguns (Section 2 Firearms under the 1968 Act as amended) are defined in UK law as smoothbore firearms with barrels not shorter than 24 inches (61 cm) and a bore not larger than 2 inches (5.1 cm) in diameter, no revolving cylinder, and either no magazine or a non-detachable magazine that is not capable of holding more than two cartridges, plus one in the chamber;
Imagine one of those with one in the chamber and two in a magazine, would be a shot gun monster :)

1702833321259.jpegi fired a punt gun The guns were sufficiently powerful, and the punts sufficiently small, that firing the gun often propelled the punt backwards several inches or more Punt guns were usually custom-designed and varied widely, but could have bore diameters exceeding 2 inches (51 mm) and fire over a pound (≈ 0.45 kg) of shot at a time o_O

Size comparison of a man and punt gun

1702833243156.jpeg

Back