• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

What experiences do you have in the smog.
I remember I couldn't see a walking pace in front of me in the pea souper, and the roadside flares indicating the kerbside for the traffic. Unbelievably yes! there was traffic. Life just seemed to carry on, it was part of the norm.
For people that wouldn't know those times, what would they make of them if they were carried back in time? The whole country would come to a standstill.

hi there annie
its only our older generation that can recall those dark grim days of the real heavy smog that we used to get regular
and yes you could not see your hand in front of you
if i put my experiences down i would be here all day like most of us oldens
but i can say that todays youger generation could never cope with it
a slight drop of mist ,rain ,snow ,even ifs its sunny ,
it either stops every think or road smashes ,every think comes to a grinding holt ,the modern man of today can not handle it
and thats the clutch of the matter as you said we had to get on with it
the country now grinds to a holt for the slightess thing
enjoy this wonderful .and glorious week end of sun shine whilst you can
have a nice day , best wishes astonian ; ;;;;;

I recall one evening as a lad leaving the Odeon cinema in the city and joining a queue in Corporation Street for my bus home. Had to walk past the line to check the bus sign to ensure I was going to be joining the correct bus queue. One could barely make out the tall street lamps above and the illumination of the front of a shop opposite just gave a dull glow.

After about twenty minutes a bus inspector rode up on a pedal cycle to tell us the buses had been taken off the road. Mutterings about the bus service, from the people there, followed him up the road as he headed to the next bus stop to tell the people there. Cannot see that service happening in today's world. You would wait until you got bored with it.

It was a long walk home and I felt very insular and in my own world with the fog swirling about. Each junction on the eight mile walk one had to rely on one's hearing alone for traffic, for sight did not come into the equation. I know on my arrival home I was soaked through due to the vapour permeating my clothes

Swirling Smog

It sounds all very familiar to me. Often when walking home from places in the smog, I literally had to slide my hand along the wall to keep me walking in a straight line.
What would health and safety say to all the goings on in a smog if it was around in the present day?!!

Smog

Its very simple Anne, Health & Safety would make you submit a method statement for getting home in the smog.

Cheers,

pmc1947

smog

I worked in Dudley street in 1954, my first winter there we had a real pea-souper. the day had been misty from the start and about 3pm my boss came into the warehouse and suggested anyone who had more than a mile to get home had better leave as the fog had descended and was getting thicker by the minute. my journey home to Northfield used to take about 30mins, but after catching the tram at the top of Smallbrook st, we managed to get to Cannon Hill. the tram driver refused to go any further, so after walking the rest of the way home i finally got in at 9pm. My Mum did'nt get home at all that night, she worked at Aston Goods Station and did'nt finish work until 8pm so a friend put her up for the night. Lucky that our neighbour had a telephone so at least mum was able to send us a message where she was

I remember my Dad telling us a story of how he was caught in a London smog in the early 60's. He was there on buisness with a colleague from the works in Birmingham, his name was Carl and he was blind. Dad said if Carl hadn't been with him he would never have found their hotel!

In the 40's the smog was so thick you could barely see your feet, and getting to school was tricky but fun for us kids. We laughed most of the way, as we crawled on hands and knees. :)

I do, Charlie. Those radiators were a welcome sight on foggy mornings, we were always wet when we got to school!!

We used to play Hide & Seek in it Down Newtown Row, thought nothing of it, thats the way it was, today what would they say:Aah: elf & safety

Some time in late 1945, I can still remember, my mum and I were in Bull Street after dark in thick fog. No buses to Perry Common, somebody said, but I could hear a bus round the corner in front of Snow Hill Station. With the savvy of a 12-year old, I sussed out that any bus on those routes would be taken to the depot at Hockley, and my mum agreed it was a practical idea to take that, and then walk for ten or fifteen minutes to her mum's in Grasmere Road to spend the night, which is what we would have done, except the fog was so thick that the poor driver was getting nowhere fast. So we got off somewhere before Key Hill and legged it from there. We must have spent the night there, but I remember nothing of that.
Ten years or so later we still had bad fogs, and as Charlie says, Perry Barr was a bad spot, particularly near the River Tame. I sometimes used to cycle home at that time, and remember that the illuminated shop windows in Birchfield Road were a help. It was easier in the days of the trams - you just rode into the groove and carried on.
Peter

Snow Storm 60's

I remember the one in the early sixties 1963ish?
I was a Staff Nurse, and I had to travel from home (West Brom) to the General Hospital each day to work, and it was impossible.
They had to place me in the Nurses "Sick" room in the Nurses Home for a few days to be sure I was on duty by 7.30pm most mornings, until such the buses started to run regularly again.
I liked the snow, but didn't like not being able to get home.
Anne

Big freeze

I can just about remember this. I was off school with the Chicken Pox and I gazed longingly out of the window into the garden watching my cat gamboling and tossing and turning in the very deep snow. He was almost embedded. I so wanted to join him.
Anne

Great pictures Aston, although I wasn't around in 47 I can remember snow like that in Sutton in the 50's. I remember wearing trousers under my skirt at school, and when the heating broke we had to keep our coats on! Can you imagine kids doing that today.

Winter 1947, on the Chester Road, Streetly, west of the Parson & Clerk towards Brownhills (now the A452).

Traffic was no problem at all although the group did get ticked off by a rather nasty, aggressive, swarthy man of vaguely military mien and in an open jeep. Possibly a Yank. Told everyone we would get killed. Silly man, he was the only one who could have run us over - although he did look capable of trying it. As soon as he roared off, activities resumed. (It was an even better hill than Manor Road, the normal venue).

The remains of the ice on the road lingered well into March. Eventually it was removed by groups of prisoners-of-war wielding pick-axes and shovels and dressed in scruffy. dark donkey-jackets with POW stencilled on the back. I wonder when they finally went home, and what awaited them there.

The sledge on the right survives to this day. Also, to his surprise, does its occupant.

Chris

What a great account Chris and a photo too! thanks for posting.:)

Great photo Chris..............love the school caps.

Can you imagine kids wearing them today!!

The complete uniform looks so smart and is a great leveler.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Too true!!

That was when boys WERE boys...........and enjoyed being so;)

In 1947 I was in Sir Josiah Mason's Orphanage nice and warm except when we had to go outside down to the day school in knee socks and gymslips.

No tights in those days!!

Chris, just seen your lovely pic on Chester Road in 1947. Would I be right in thinking that you were about half way between Bridle Lane and Foley Road, at the top of the slope going down towards The Hardwick and Brownhills?
I was 2 - 3 miles south in the Perry Common area, but no-one (except kids) would have thought of walking any distance in those conditions.
Peter

Chester Road

No, Peter, it was the (bigger and better) hill between the Parson & Clerk and Bridle Lane/Manor Road.

I've little doubt that it still exists!

I've also a snowy recollection of the hill you are talking about, between Bridle lane and Foley Road, during what seemed to be the equally dreadful winter of 1941. Just walking to school as a five-year-old, the drifts at the side of the road way above my head. Funny, I never remember the knees being particularly cold. Again, virtually no traffic of any kind.

Even in better weather the only wartime traffic on that road which has left an impression was the occasional tank grinding past, its tracks abrading the road surface; long army convoys; RAF 60-footers sometimes loaded with an aircraft fuselage or wings, somethimes carrying torn and battered wreckage; from time to time a line of lorry chassis, no bodies, just the chassis and a single exposed seat where each driver sat without windscreen, muffled against the elements in goggles, gauntlets, scarf and thick, padded coat; the very occasional steam lorry puffing by at 10 or 15 m.p.h.; and now and again a fast moving car, its tyres producing a strange, singing sound which lingered long after it had passed from view.

For entertainment I sometimes used to borrow the kitchen chair, drag it onto the pavement outside our house and perch there, watching whatever it was which was going by. But not in January. And certainly not an exercise recommended for small children today. Computer games are safer - but then will they provide memories to bore the grandchildren, and forum members, with?

Chris

Do you remember the pea soupers we had in the 50s---70s?
I was working in Perry barr and had got on the bus at Perry Barr shopping centre, when it arrived in the City centre I changed to the No 24 to go home to Billesley but the fog got worse and we crawled along until the driver stopped and announced to us that he was lost as he had only been on this route for a few days so I then started to walk home with this bus following behind me from Camp Hill, when I got near to my normal bus stop I realised that the driver needed to be guided to the depot so off we set, lucky as it as less than a mile further on.Twice more during this time I was caught on the wrong side of the city in fog and had to walk home!
Pete

Pete, I certainly do remember those pea soupers! As a child in Handsworth I can remember a bus driver getting lost and turning off the Soho Road into Soho Avenue by mistake, and the drivers used to have to walk in front of the buses to guide the drivers.

Then when I was older and working in the city centre in the 60s, I remember the fog came down one afternoon, getting worse by the minute, so I rang my sister and told her we ought to start making our way home to Quinton and not wait until 5.30. We got a No.9 from Colmore Row and it took about half an hour to get to the end of Broad Street. We got off the bus and started walking. Took us about 2 hours or more to make it back to Hagley Road West in Quinton. We literally couldn't see a hand in front of us, and when crossing the road had to shout to each other to find our way to the other side. It was deathly quiet and no cars or buses passed us all the way home. I had on a beige coat which I had just had cleaned and by the time I got home it was black with the smog. A girl I worked with used to have Asthma and she always wore a mask across her face when the fog came.

Judy

The pea souper I remember the most was in the sixties and I was courting a chap who is now my husband. I was nursing at that time at East Birmingham Hospital, and we were walking up Green Lane from the hospital. We could hardly see a hand in front of us. As we were only teenagers we played hide and seek with much shreeking and laughter. I still think of those silly times together and the laughter that has kept us together for over 40 years. (He has just commented that we are still together because he couldn't lose me in the fog)
Lynda

I remember hiding in the sideboard in during one of the fifties fogs, it went so dark and I was so scared. We had to have scarves wrapped around our faces.

Harborne

The funniest one i remember was about the mid sixties, as a young lad i was doing some work inside a house in Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield, very posh, massive front gardens. The fog was so thick you couldn't see your hand in front of your nose and it was just going dark when we got in the van to go home. As we came out of the drive onto the private road we had only gone a short distance when we spotted a light being waved frantically in front of us so we got out, it was the bloke from the next house. We asked him what the problem was, he explained that he had just drove home and pulled up on his drive, very long, and realised that about nine cars had been following his tail lights and followed him onto his property and he was now trying to get them all back out and point them in the right direction. At the time it was very funy but the next day when we returned we noticed the damage that had been done, most of the cars had tried to turn around in his front garden and had made it look like a ploughed field. I have no doubt this happened many times in those days.

bren

re the fog

Hello. I was trying to get to tamworth one night in that fog we had.I dove
into a field and got stuck un the mud right up to the body,i walked home. The next day i went to see what could be done and could not remember
were i left it, it took hours to find my car when i did find it the garage charged me £50 to pull it out.

Back