• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

We Don't Just Lose The Old Cinemas

Or myself Frederick,its not on the outskirts of Town, the Bus from our place stops outside it and its 50 yards from the Main Co-Op Departmental store, 100 yards from the then Woollies JJB Sports next door. a precinct opened by Prince Edward 6 years ago and next door to the Regent Theatre the biggest in the town.

I believe there was more to this Its a labour Council. The council Offices were move to a new build sometime after.:(

Anyone.
Is it true ODEON stood for 'Oscar Deutch Entertains Our Nation' and that the chain started in Birmingham or is that another of the 'urban myths' we keep hearing about?

It is True

If you go to Home page down the page Birmingham Cinemas:)

the other theory is that "OD" obviously stands for Oscar Deutch and I am sure that I read somewhere that "EON" comes from the Greek meaning glittering lights, but the popular theory is Entertains Our Nation

Back