• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wauman, Thomas and Minnie

Tuppenny Rice

Tibbatts, Birch, Bennett, Jeffcott families
I'm trying to solve a mystery - some medals were discovered by my relative hidden at 27 Daniels Road, Bordesley Green. They were awarded to a George Horton for service in the Boer War and WW1, but strangely, he lived at 32, not 27. A couple called Thomas and Minnie Wauman lived at 27. I think George's widow Fanny may have given them to Thomas's widow Minnie in the mid 1950s, but I don't know why.

Thomas Wauman was born in Birmingham but it's a Flemìsh name, and very unusual in the UK. He and Minnie had two sons called Eric and Brian, had lived in Daniels Road since at least 1939, and previously in Drummond Road in the early 20s. Thomas died in 1948 aged 77, George in 1954, Minnie in 1957, and Fanny in 1960. An item from the Coronation kept with the medals means they are unlikely to have been given before 1953.

Does anyone know anything more about Thomas and Minnie? I think the men may possibly have had a connection through the cycle trade, or as volunteer firefighters in WW2. I haven't found any evidence that Thomas fought in the Boer War or WW1 for Britain.

[See also my post on George Horton for the full background and photos of the medals]

Last edited:
On the 1939 register Thomas is recorded as a traveller in fancy goods. The marriage of his son Brian took place at a Baptist service. Maybe there is a family connection there?

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 3
Interesting! We know George and Fanny were married in 1905, i wonder if it was there..

What is a traveller in fancy goods?

George and Fanny married at St Oswalds Bordesley.
C of E then. Although the Baptists were gaining ground at the time, my mom's family defected from Trinity to Small Heath Baptist, even though grandad was the organist at Trinity!

Back