• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Water Storage Tanks

brummie nick

master brummie
Does anyone have a picture of the Water Storage Tanks, that were placed around the City during war time?

TIA Nick

Page 40 of Birmingham at War Vol 1 shows an auxiliary water tank in Victoria Square, September 3rd 1939

Page 55 of volume 2 shows the static tank at Duddeston holding 650,000 galons

Last edited:
Hi George, I have the 'Birmingham At War' book never thought to look there :redface: By coincidence its the same picture as the one in Johns Link.

Thanks to you both.

Nick

Based on your assessment of the size of the static water tank provided in you link it's capacity was probably around 3,500 gallons

They had a Static water Tank in St Stephens Church front Newtown Row which I remember always being covered, we lived about 100 yards from it.

There's a photo on page 95 in the Book Newtown & Summer Lane and the lamp post is just where it was.:)

Back