• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Was This Canal By The Science Museum

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Found this with some more photos having a clear out.

My eldest Son was about 2 at the time he's 26 now:)

View attachment 39475

Could it be Newhall Street?

Last edited:
Many years ago I was asked to do a series of Bham canal scenes and that particular view was one of them, the location is up by newhall St
Eric

Another lovely painting Eric....I seriously think we could have an exhibition of the lovely work done by forum members.

Thank you Wendy I did 6 for an American visitor from Denver, he wanted mementos of the Bham canal system, he said hes seen nothing like it in the U.S.
Eric

Well I hope you got a good price for them. The one you posted is lovely!:)

Living now in the far North, I haven't visited the Science Museum since 1972; I loved the place as a kid. Am I right in thinking that the museum was bi-sected at some point, by a narrow corridor that was actually a boarded-over canal bridge? I have a vague memory of it having a small window let-in to one side of the passage, and a view of the 'cut' ???

I think you are right John,as that is also my recollection from visits to the museum in Newhall Street when I was a kid.There was a bridge over the canal,and in the 1950's it was possible to see working boats still using the canal.I also recall there being some glass cased models of early steam engines (eg James Watt) on display in this walkway.

Living now in the far North, I haven't visited the Science Museum since 1972; I loved the place as a kid. Am I right in thinking that the museum was bi-sected at some point, by a narrow corridor that was actually a boarded-over canal bridge? I have a vague memory of it having a small window let-in to one side of the passage, and a view of the 'cut' ???

Back