• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warwickshire additions to ancestry

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
New additions to Ancestry concerning Warwickshire are:
Warwickshire, Militia, 1776-1825,
Warwickshire, Bastardy Orders, 1816–1839.
Warwickshire, Land Tax, 1773–1830, I'm not too sure about search facility for this, as i looked for some entries listing birmingham and got at least some which were definitely not birmingham
Warwick, Burial Slips from Warwick Cemetery, 1859–1968
Two which you can only browse , as they have not yet been transcribed:
Warwickshire, Parish Poor Law, 1546–1904
Warwickshire, Occupational and Quarter Session Records,
The last includes gamekeeper lists, freemasons, boat owners, jurors lists, freeeholders hearth tax records and Certificates for using Hair powder (!). Apparently "The practice of powdering hair began in England in the 17th century. At the end of the 18th century a duty of one pound one shilling a year was levied on everyone who continued to use hair powder"

Mike

A levy on Hair powder - that's incredible! I am so glad there is not a levy on hair products nowadays - I would be broke with the amount my lot use.

The burial slips are searchable, Ive found 3 people so far. I only emailed the birmingham heraldry and genealogy 2 week ago about these documents. Even tho I never got a reply:p. Saves me a few quid tho.

Back