• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Warwick Arms - Bradford Street Digbeth

• Thread starter www.midlandspubs.co.uk
  • Start date
W

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

I'm still wading through my notes on Bradford Street and, following on from the Drovers' Arms.....

Warwick Arms - Bradford Street [plan attached]

warwick arms.JPG

Until recent years there was a nice-looking red-brick building on the corner of Mill Lane and many people assumed that this was the old Warwick Arms. However, as can be seen from this plan drawn in 1888 the Warwick Arms was a few doors from the corner and there was a smithy between the pub and Mill Lane.

This is not the whole story however - there is an explanation for the confusion over the corner property. This was a later extension of the pub. Built on the site of the smithy, this was a dining room and servery for the Warwick Arms.

An early publican of the Warwick Arms was Joseph Gregg. He was mine host in 1828 and remained throughout much of the 1830's. It would appear that the smithy and pub were connected. The 1861 census records Thomas Reading in charge of the Warwick Arms, stabling and shoeing forge. After his spell in the licensed trade, he would later work as a butcher.

A street directory of 1888 shows that Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co. had occupied a property in between the Anchor Inn and the Warwick Arms. This was an outpost of Black Eagle Brewery in London's East End.

By 1886 the company were in control of the Warwick Arms. It was the architectural firm of James and Lister Lea who designed the refreshment rooms to be erected on the corner of Mill Lane. The firm had also designed the stabling block of the Warwick Arms. These were extensive and included nine stalls, a corn room and harness room.

The Warwick Arms closed around 1917.

Incidentally, there was once another pub between the Warwick Arms and the Drovers' Arms. The White Horse was a beer house with a short lifespan. The building was a few doors away from the Drovers' Arms. Charles Padmore was the licensee in 1845. Born in the Staffordshire town of Eccleshall around 1804, he kept the White Horse with his wife Rebecca.

Cheers
Kieron www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay!:)

I'm so glad my registration finally went through, I have been so excited since I saw this thread about the Warwick arms. I have a family photo from the late 1800's early 1900's of my great great grandparents who are standing in front of the Warwick Arms. The pub name is clearly visable as well as the family name "John Alford Lowry" and below the name it reads: "Licensed retailer of Ale, Beer, Porter & Tobacco, to be consumed on the premises.

Unfortunately there is no Address listed. I don't know if it is the same pub as the one being discussed here, but my father's family does hail from Birmingham. My great grandfather emigrated to Canada and that is where I am from. I would love to be able to find out where this pub was located. I have the photo scanned into my computer and I will attempt to attach it to this post, but I don't know how much luck I will have. Any information anyone could provide would be wonderful!

Thanks!
- Karen

Thank you!

I am very interested in my family history, and unfortunately my grandparents died when I was very young, so I don't know nearly as much as I would like. My aunt also has a copy of one of our ancestor's apprenticeship contracts or something to that effect. I know it has his home address on it and a decription of the duties he would be performing. I haven't looked at it for quite some time, but if I can get a copy of it scanned in I will post that as well. My mother is from Bury St. Edmunds and still has loads of family there, so every time I visit England I never make it out Birmingham way. I will be sure to do so on my next visit.

I look forward to being part of the forum!

- Karen

Karen
Warwick Arms is not an uncommon name for a pub. I have checked the Birmingham directories available to me, which cover the whole range of time, but not every year, and have been unable to find a John Lowry as landlord of any of the three pubs in the birmingham area listed as The Warwick Arms.
this does not rule out the possibility however because they could have been in for a short period.
However the directories do not always list the name of the pub, and often just list the landlord as "Beer retailer" or some such description. There is listed in the 1912 Kelllys directory a John Alford Lowry , beer retailer, at 60 Cregoe st, and in 1915 and 1921 the licence is held by a Alice Lowry, her husband presumably having died. In 1932 it has changed to a refreshment rooms run by someone else. I cannot be sure that this is the Warwick Arms , but think it probably is. Lowry isn't a particularly common Brummie name. Attached is a larger scale map (1889) showing the no 60., with 60 marked in red. Its position was determined from the saddle manufacturer, which is listed in the directory. Also a lower scale map (1913) to show the area (60 in red). The upper part of Cregoe st is visible on Google earth, rthough no buildings remain. The lower part (where no 60 is) is not visible.
The 1901 census shows John Lowry living very close to Cregoe st at no 6 Court 43 Irving St, with his wife Alice and family. He is apparently born in wolverhampton and is a Joiner's tool maker.

View attachment 24705
In 1891 he is with his family at 48 Bissell st (same occupation)
In 1881 he is listed as "son in law" , alice not present, at 3 lower Hurst St.
Can't find alice in 1881.
Can't find John in 1871.
I attach copies of the directory entries for 1912 and 1921 and the maps.
Hope its useful
mike

60_cregoe_st_1889.jpg

1913_map_60_cregoe_st.jpg

Chickpea do post the apprenticeship document if you can. It would be so interesting for those of us who have never seen one.

Mike,

Thank you for that great information. The name Alice seems familiar to me, but I am not sure, I emailed my parents with the information and asked my father and my aunt to see if any of it matches up. I also asked my mom to scan in the Apprenticeship document as well. I think she has a photocopy of the original. My Aunt has all of the originals of these documents and photos. I am so facinated by all of this. It quickly becomes addictive!

Thank you all so much for sharing this information with me and being so helpful. :)

- Karen

I can confirm that No.60 Cregoe Street was the Warwick Arms. Great pic. I have attached an extract of the 1911 Trade Directory for Birmingham, the first year in which John Lowry was listed at the pub.

51 Pool Robert, hardware dlr
53 Payne Mrs. Kate, shopkpr
55 Smith John, draper
BRETHREN MISSION ROOM
59 Stinton Henry, shopkeeper
60 Lowry Jn. Alford, beer ret
62 Woolley Albert & Thomas, suite frame manufactrs
63 Woolley Edwin, gig saddle manufacturer

Cheers
Kieron www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I spoke with my parents this morning and was able to get mom to scan in the deed of apprenticeship. It is on Legal length paper, so she had to scan it in half pages, but at least it is in the computer now! The deed is for my great grandfather - John Henry Lowry who was the son of John Alford and Alice. My great grandfather is the one who later emmigrated to Canada. My Father said he had a brother who emmigrated as well and he remembers calling him Uncle Willie. So perhaps William Lowry?

I've not been able to upload the PDF, it's giving me problems. Anyone have any suggestions? it's only 3.5MB so it's well under the size limit.

Thanks again for all of your assistance!

- Karen

Karen
You might be interested in the following census pages for John Lowry for 1881,1891 and 1901. Henry appears on the last two

1881_censusB.jpg

1891_censusB.jpg

1901_censusB.jpg

Wow, I was so excited to see Karen's picture, as I have just discovered from the 1881 census that my husband's great-grandfather, one Tudor Davis, was the "licensed victualler" of the Warwick Arms, Bradford Street! However, from closer reading of this thread, it seems that the photo may not be of the Bradford Street Warwick Arms, but of another one, alas. Lovely picture though!

Angela

Hi
i have just been looking at this thread about the warwick arms. I am the great granddaughter of John Alford and Alice Lowry so I think I may be related to Karen. As she was a guest on this forum rather than a member, do you know how I might contact her? My mom and aunt have memories of Canadian relatives and photos.
can you give me any help/advice?
lynda

No photos of the pub on this thread, so here's one. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 56
Hi all, just started tracking down some English family (I'm in Australia) and stumbled on this thread. James Gregg mentioned in the first post is my 4th GGfather. On his children's baptism records he is listed as Farrier and then on a census Veterinary Surgeon and then it was Victualler?? New to the word I went a 'Googling' as one does and came up with the goods - or should that be grog! I have since found a combined listing under a Birmingham directory for both at the 275 Bradford street address.

I reference to the Smithy in the first post I believe, after researching, that this was my GGFathers duel business. He was a Farrier and publican and I have found two references in directories with both business listed at the same address. Interesting.... I have also found a listing in the same street for his brother William as a smith and farrier. Also a Victualler directory listing his other brother Samuel and James as listed with the Angel Inn in Hospital Street.

The link to the map above is no longer working and wondering if anyone could send me a new link? would love to see a copy. Also is the photo above listed by Viv the first Warwick Arms Inn referenced in Bradford street or another??

Anyway loving the site and learning a lot about Birmingham in the late 1700's and early to mid 1800's. Regards Hayley

Hi Haley

Welcome to you, I am slowly working replacing what images I can to the Pubs section of the forum, unfortunately I have not yet reached this thread, but what I have done is replace the section of map that you mention it will not be the same as the one that is missing but it will give the same information. I will replace any other missing items that I am able to when I come to the thread in the sequence that I am working.

Thought I would post these directory listings up as well for anyone interested or researching. Regards Hayley

Attachments

• jamesgreggvit2.JPG
    jamesgreggvit2.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 21
  • jamesgreggvit3.JPG
    jamesgreggvit3.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 20
  • jamesgreggvit4.JPG
    jamesgreggvit4.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 20
Mike,

Thank you for that great information. The name Alice seems familiar to me, but I am not sure, I emailed my parents with the information and asked my father and my aunt to see if any of it matches up. I also asked my mom to scan in the Apprenticeship document as well. I think she has a photocopy of the original. My Aunt has all of the originals of these documents and photos. I am so facinated by all of this. It quickly becomes addictive!

Thank you all so much for sharing this information with me and being so helpful. :)

- Karen
Karen, my great grandparents were John Alfred & Alice Lowry - my grandfather William Wilfred is the child that immigrated to Canada with my grandmother Amy in 1913. I would like to correspond with you if you would like.

Hi
i have just been looking at this thread about the warwick arms. I am the great granddaughter of John Alford and Alice Lowry so I think I may be related to Karen. As she was a guest on this forum rather than a member, do you know how I might contact her? My mom and aunt have memories of Canadian relatives and photos.
can you give me any help/advice?
lynda
Lynda, my great grandparents were John Alfred & Alice Lowry. My grandfather William Alfred Lowry (John & Alice's son) immigrated to Canada with Amy my grandmother in 1913.

Lynda, my great grandparents were John Alfred & Alice Lowry. My grandfather William Alfred Lowry (John & Alice's son) immigrated to Canada with Amy my grandmother in 1913.
Marsha, just read your post. My grandmother was Alice Jennie Lowry (known as Jennie). she was John & Alice's daughter. My mother is Jennie's youngest child. She remembers her mother Jennie going to Canada to visit her brothers and mom wrote regularly to a cousin in Canada when she was younger. I think mom has the same family photo outside the Warwick Arms as Karen.

Marsha, just read your post. My grandmother was Alice Jennie Lowry (known as Jennie). she was John & Alice's daughter. My mother is Jennie's youngest child. She remembers her mother Jennie going to Canada to visit her brothers and mom wrote regularly to a cousin in Canada when she was younger. I think mom has the same family photo outside the Warwick Arms as Karen.
Lynda, I need to correct my last note to you, apologies. Alice Jennie Lowry (nee Gore) was my Great Grandfather's second wife. His first wife's name was Ellen Spencer with whom he had three children. I am the granddaughter of his son William Wilfred Lowry who immigrated to Canada with his wife Amy Elizabeth in 1913.

Lynda, I need to correct my last note to you, apologies. Alice Jennie Lowry (nee Gore) was my Great Grandfather's second wife. His first wife's name was Ellen Spencer with whom he had three children. I am the granddaughter of his son William Wilfred Lowry who immigrated to Canada with his wife Amy Elizabeth in 1913.
Hi Marsha
I think we may be half cousins with same great grandfather but different great grandmother? I have spoken to my mom and she remembers your grandfather as Uncle Wilf. She said he had 3 children and one of them Elsie (Elise) came to visit UK which she recalls. Mom has a letter from Wilf who lived in Leeside Toronto which describes having to go to work in ‘terrible snow’. In World War 2 they sent lovely food parcels to Birmingham which were much appreciated. Lynda

Hello Lynda, yes this information is correct. William Wilfred, my grandfather had three children. Elsie (Elise) was the first born, my mother Eva (Eve) was the second and the third Wilfred the youngest is still alive and is 90 years of age. He retired only two years ago from an insurance agency and he is also an artist. Grandpa and Nanny (grandmother) did reside in Leaside. My second cousin who lives in the UK on Nanny's side, her mother also remembers the food parcels. Aunt Elsie unfortunately contracted MS. She was a lovely lady and died from complications due to MS in 1982. We have record of her coming to the UK on three separate occasions once to be married to a fella but that was short lived and she returned to Canada. Thank you for touching base.

Hi Marsha
I think we may be half cousins with same great grandfather but different great grandmother? I have spoken to my mom and she remembers your grandfather as Uncle Wilf. She said he had 3 children and one of them Elsie (Elise) came to visit UK which she recalls. Mom has a letter from Wilf who lived in Leeside Toronto which describes having to go to work in ‘terrible snow’. In World War 2 they sent lovely food parcels to Birmingham which were much appreciated. Lynda
Also, I do not know what happened to the first marriage but it obviously dissolved. Great Grandfather had three children with his first wife Ellen Spencer, my grandfather William Wilford was the oldest, then Harrold (Harry) and the youngest was John Edward. Harry emigrated to Canada as well about the same time as my grandfather. The youngest John Edward disowned the family.

Hi Marsha thank you for all this information. I will tell mom when I see her at the weekend. I think she will be very pleased to hear it all. I will ask if she knows what happened with the first marriage and let you know.

Hi Marsha, mom was very pleased to hear about your posts. She has a photo of great grandfather with his second wife and my grandma as well as some photos from Canada, one of which I think has your mother Eva on it. Would you like me to post them on this site or is there a way I can email them to you? Mom seemed to think that great grandfather was a widower when he married Alice Gore but she wasn’t absolutely sure.

Back