• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warstone Cemetary

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
Hi,
Could anyone tell me please,if i contact Warstone Cemetary will they tell me if a certain person is
buried there,i am willing to pay.

Thankyou
Carolann

Carolann if you give me the details name and year of death I will try and help.

I have checked the indexes for Sheppard and found one in 1957 section J grave 2. Burial ref 104311. I am not sure but this may be a public grave. There was no first name given. Dolly was usually a nick name so I will try and find out more.

Carolann section J2 is a public vault so some families who paid were on the memorial. I am still not sure if this is where Dolly is as there is no Christian name. This often happened when it was a still born child and sometimes people who died in the workhouse destitute with no family. I wouldn't have thought this would have happened in the 1950's.

I have attached a photo of the memorial on the vault but as I said I can't confirm it is where Dolly is. Maybe if you can get a death cert this will give you more info.

I have checked my version of the J2 photo (includes the bottom half as well), but I can't see Sheppard recorded on the memorial, but that's not unusual, as the family would have to pay for an inscription.

I'm afraid J2 only has inscriptions from the first use of it in 1918.
many were reopened in the 1950's and were 'topped up' to utilise spare capacity - there were no memorials allowed for these burials as I understand it.

Hi Wendy,
Thankyou very much for looking for me,i think the best thing as you say is to
send for the death certificate.
But i am grateful to you for taking the time to look for me.
Many Thanks

Carolann she would not be listed in a burial register under her maiden name it would be her married name. So no point in searching for Dolly Sheppard.

Hi Wendy,
Dolly Sheppard was my Aunt who left home many years ago and not been since.
Her real name was Amy,but was only ever known as Dolly i don`t know why.
I have never found a marriage for her,i have tried everything to find her but had no luck.
So when i seen this date of death for a Dolly Sheppard in 1957,i thought it could be her.
Still i will keep looking.
Thankyou very much Wendy,i really appreciate you looking for me.

Back