• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WAR POEMS

D

Dorothy Dodson

Thank you Les that really sums up the suffering that was indured by the young conscripts of WW1, I never knew my grandfather but i have a picture in my mind of what he and all the young men went through, although he was the father of youngsters and then my grandmother died in childbirth when he came home so he was the sole provider for the children - i dont think any of us today realise what it must have been like for the children when he died. My mother was 14 and the second eldest but the youngest was 2yrs old.

Also WW2 was horrific for the young men and women; and these days i can never watch a memorial service without shedding a tear.

I know that there are still conflicts going on - Iraq for instance. I have friends who have lost relatives there, and i dread my son having to go, but i dont think he will as he is now 41 - i always say he's too old for fighting - buy he IS a Royal Marine and sadly he lost some of his men in Iraq - what a mess! Will we ever learn.

Dorothy

Thank you Dorothy, dont worry love, your lad will be ok, its important in this world that we keep faith in good things and those we love..
I'm sure it will all be ok...thanks once more and I hope all those you love are well and safe..
Les

THE WAR
My Dad was in a plight
Helping to put the world right
Many years away from home
Had to leave his family on their own
Six long years this world war battle
Seeing awful sights people shot like cattle
Children roaming a war torn street
Looking for scraps of food to eat
This young man when he left was kind
On his return he was out of his mind
He never spoke about the war
Never told us about what he had seen
Or even where he had been
All this is now in the past
I now understand at last
Rest in peace of mind
You where one of a kind

John, Only my children know what my father went through, after the war his wife died of throat cancer through polishing the shells for the guns. So what did he do ?
He put the kids to bed. 6 of them and turned all the gas taps on
They all survived but I can tell you no more as the people involved are still alive,and I don't want to upset anyone
The horrors continued long after the war finished for the men and their families
But when we died it will all be forgotten as each family tale is.
That Is the Way It Goes

The thing that really bugs me about the wars our lads are fighting now is we are told it is being fought under
NATO agreement, you could not get any further than they from the North Atlantic so how do work that one out.I spent five years in the Middle East and then had to wait 50 years for my General Service Medal. Quote
He who fights and runs away will live to fight another day.

Why so long to have to wait for a general service medal - Perhaps it was a laot faster during the Second world War.

Hi Beryl, The reason we to wait, so long was the MOD insisted that the servicemen, and women were not entitled to a medal, they said we were not on active service, this was between 1951/55, there is quite a story
involved here and this can be read on the "Small Wars"
web site, Im not sure of the Email address. After many
years of waiting the PM , Tony Blair agreed to put our case before the committee which in theend agreed we could
have the GSM with a bar (Suez Canel Zone)
quote It all comes to him that sits and waits!
Best Wishes ,.Bernard.:cool:

Back