• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Walker's Street Guide of Birmingham

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Hope it's okay to post on this set of threads. Not Walkers as I put but Wakelin's.

Today I came across a copy of this little book from 1942. It was published by FH Wakelin Ltd. 354 Wheeler Street, Birmingham 19 and cost 3d.
It gives the location of the road/street in relation to what road it is off and if by a house, also the number.
I am going to keep it close to my computer so if I can help look up a road for anyone I'll be very happy to do so.

Regards

Jill

Last edited:
I bet you paid more than 3d for it.. mine cost me over £2.00

Sorry Mike but I didn't. I was clearing out my parents house. I had never seen it before. I never knew that they had it. Isn't it crazy to think it cost the equvalent of one and a half new pence.
I looked up Ash Grove near St. Andrew's where I was born and it isn't in there. I don't know if because it was a small close (I think) it wasn't considered big enough to be included.

J

Back