• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walker Thomas and Mary Family (Buckle makers)

cazap

proper brummie kid
The last records I have are from St Martins Church showing Mary Bates Marrying Thomas Walker in 1883
They had a number of children
Has any one any info on Thomas and Mary (parents addresses etc ) would help me greatly
cazap

Re: The Walker (BUckle makers) Family

HI CAZCAP
If our experts check here archives of records ; i think you and them will find them as thomas walker of st pauls square
it was a very big factory i worked there for them twice at thomas walkers whom was buckle makers ;
I would not be surprized it is them i was an electro plating of buckles and etc for them unless its a coicidence of the name
but if they was the buckle makers then its a good chance best wishes astonian;;

This may be of interest to you it is from the Birmingham Daily Post (Birmingham, England), Friday, July 21, 1882

Attachments

• walker_buckles.JPG
    walker_buckles.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

cazap. I worked for a firm that did a lot of polishing for Thomas Walker, "Bib and Brace" buckles etc; The Walker factory was in James Street just off St Pauls Square at that time (1980s)
jimbo

hi jimbo ;
thats the place in james ; its known and referred as st pauls square as it took the old coner of that street and a good peice
st pauls ; i workrd there for them twice there wasa lady called mrs ird at the time working there she was my mates mother harppie bird from winson
Green area along with his sister ; she was there for years but i wasthere way ;way back in time before you
the offices was very antique looking and out of date the owners of thoma walker still dressed is smart old suit but imacculately drees at all time
they nver changed any part of the bulding snce the 1800 ; but obvisualy they extended it ;
they was always recruitng barrell plater and electro platers ; [ mening people whom used the vat plating systems with acids and annoys ]
the barrell plating was a complete different system with buckes of water ;
I think mrs bird was the fore woman of the works possiblible in the polishing and packing dept ;
best wishes astonian;;;;

I am doing research on the walker family and have traced it back to 1783 when Thomas Walker married Mary Bates.....in St Martins church
I am trying to trace backwards....as far as I can go....
If anyone out there has worked for the factory I would like to hear any stories regarding the owners.

I know they took over a large part of St Pauls Squre in about 1920 and that it was a real warren of a place
cazap

Thank you for that info all goes to make a bigger picture of the company
cazap

Still need help about Thomas Walker and Mary Bates.......
Cazap

HI CAZAP ;
Its a real shame really because ; four or five years we had all the info; you needed on this forum we a hell of alot
from members and photographs but sadly some mean person hi jacked the site and scarpered with all our stories and photos what was ever on
this site other wise you would have leant alot and all you wanted and sadly we have lost of the older members whom produced it all
best wishes astonian;

What makes these people tick.
Lets hope we might be able to set at least some of it up
Fingers crossed somebody made a note of some of the info
Thank you
Cazap

Back