• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W T Avery scales

Remember that in those days all prices were calculated using mental arithmetic. The weight in lbs and oz times the price per pound in shillings and pence. Scales like these, and not all shops had them, helped the calculation of ounces by the price per lb but if the weight was over 1 lb you still had to do that calculation in your head. A pencil and the corner of a sheet of wrapping paper was only for when you had to add up a number of items.

This afternoon I have been working as a volunteer for London Open House in a set of old commercial buildings next to the canal, part of which was originally a gas and coke depot and later a paper warehouse. It's now artists studios and a hire out venue space.

I spotted these huge Avery scales in there and thought they would be of interest. The weighing plate was built into the concrete floor.

20220918_125547.jpg

20220918_125622.jpg

see also

My only connection with Avery's other than kitchen scales is that my Infant and Junior School in Bearwood held their sports day at Avery's sports ground off Sandon Road. I'm astonished and delighted that Avery Fields is still going strong as a community sports hub. https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/bournvillerfc/a/bournville-minis-juniors-33538.html?page=2

I see that the once derelict grounds were earmarked for housing. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/derelict-bearwood-playing-fields-to-reopen-167711

The Avery sports grounds had been earmarked for housing as long as I can remember. The first edition of the Birmingham A-Z showed dotted lines for roads and I think I had seen that on earlier maps. Gaps for these roads were left in the City Road houses.

Back