• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

virus with no continual payment plus dongle

F

Forward

My AVG paid for runs out today, however I refuse to reorder on the basis I have to agree to continual payment in the future. Thus can you advice of an anti-virus program I can purchase that doesn't need a debit or credit card once loaded on to PC.

If I don't use PC for banking etc will a free anti virus suffice if so which one other than AVG?

Dongle: is it safe to use for banking etc?

Many thanks

Forward

Forward
You could try microsoft Essensials, it is a free AV. I myself have it on one of my
computors and never had a problem. just type it in google, and have a look at it
it cost nothing to look anyway, and nothing if you want to download it.

Regards Stars

I have AVG free version 2012. Have used it for ages after switching from Norton. Use Windows Firewall, and Superantispyware free, which is an excellent spyware catcher. I feel pretty safe with those.

Anybody with a Bank account at a certain bank that I won't name can get Kaspersky free if they register for an online account. Anybody who wants the name of the bank can PM me. I have to say that I find Kaspersky a very good anti virus.

Phil

Thank you all for your advice, I will check out when plumbers have left. My next step is to uninstall AVG, which I've read can be a pain - any thoughts please

Forward

I used to use AVG and tried the paid for one on a trial basis - it screwed up my PC through conflicts. I am now using Avast (Free). My bank supplied 'Rapport' which gives some added protection. I used to have paid for McAfee which I gave up on after losing 3 months worth of subscription after having to reload windows. Avast and Microsoft Essentials get good rating in comparison tests against paid for programs.

I have McFee free with BT Package 2 (which they changed from Norton 2 years ago, no reason given). Quite happy with it. Eric

Thanks, I seem to have achieved what I wanted with no major hassle.
Uninstalled AVG, (ticked the option boxes) and that seemed to have gone OK. Although Windows Essential read OK, at 200 mb I deemed it too large to download via dongle as only 1Gb per month. So went for free Avast, so far so good.
Thanks again for help.
Forward

Just for info, Microsoft Security Essentials is only 9.8 mb for the 32 bit version and 12 mb for the 64 bit, and is a far smaller download than other free antiviruses. Reports in the computer press indicate it is as good as the other free ones although I don't think there is much to choose between them and it is largely a matter of personal preference. I think Forward may have been looking at Windows Live Essentials which is a different thing altogether.

Although Windows Essential read OK, at 200 mb I deemed it too large to download via dongle as only 1Gb per month. So went for free Avast, so far so good.

As "Forward" says, you needed MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS not MICROSOFT LIVE ESSENTIALS.

I use AVG Free on a laptop which technically is not my property but which I have full use of. I use this rather than use up my licence for Norton which I have on my desktop which I do own. I think I started with the paid version of AVG on a free trial and at the end of the free period went over to the free version.

Back