• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vinny's story

D

Dorothy Dodson

My earliest recollection is being taken into the arms of my adoptive ‘father' and given the first loving hug of my life.

My sister and I had been waiting for adoption for what seemed like years to us, although we didn't really have any conception of time. Not only us but also our brothers had been taken into care by the authorities when they found our mother unable to care for us, our father had gone AWOL before we two girls were born.

My sister gave me a push and told me to look friendly and cute, so i did my best by jumping about and doing a gambol - it must have worked - because the man immediately picked me up and the lady with him cuddled my sister. I should tell you, that the people who rescued our little family were very kind but they had so many babies to look after they just hadn't the time to show any favouritism. They just fed us and kept us clean. I dont know where my brothers went but they were older than us so i suppose they were able to hack it.

We were taken to their home in Greenwich, and it was there that i realised that they were not married but she was his landlady, she seemed to take to my sister, while i was Rob's darling.

Robs mum lives at the seaside which is a long way from London, so when he would go to visit her, he had to leave me behind because it was a long way for a little girl like me to sit still in the car. So Helen, his landlady, looked after me at those times. She would even take me, with Millie, my sister to see her mum in Brighton. I quite liked that but i was always delighted when Rob came back home. He had many different girl friends and they all loved me. But he never seemed to settle down with any of them.

Once a year he would take me to the doctors for a check up and vaccination against any minor illnesses. I never really liked this but he always held me while the man injected me. And then he would take me home and make lots more fuss of me for being such a good. girl.

The time came though when Rob did eventually meet the lady who is to become his wife, and he took me to his mum who loves me dearly, the only fly in the ointment though is that she has another little girl named Tara and she doesn't like me very much, but i've learned to give as good as she sends. And because i know that i am loved by my new Nan and Grandad i am very happy. Robert comes to see me at holidays and always speaks to me when he phones.

Oh yes you may wonder why i have to stay with Robs mum and dad, well Karen his new lady is lovely but the sad truth is that she is allergic to cats!

PS My Nan is going post a photo of me and Tara on the Photo Album

This a footnote to the latest on Vinny

Our darling Vinny, went missing on Sunday morning, and i truly believe that she was snatched. I am absolutely distraught

I cannot begin to tell you of the horrors that are going through my mind that might be being done to her, as i have read before of reasons for cat snatching, but the awful thing is she didn't usually roam and she was at my side one minute, and then at 7.30am i heard a car outside stop and then start up again, actually i thought it was the newspaper being delivered so i didn't bother to look (well i wouldn't would i?) I know that she would be terrified because she is such a timid little thing.

I've been putting posters on telegraph poles with her photo attached all round the district and i now have some flyers for posting through doors, but i cannot do very much because of my condition,(Spondylosis) Pat my friend has been really good, helping me but she is like me, unable to do much walking. Also my Bill is unable to walk due to paraplegia from spinal injuries. I would thank God if someone contacted me to tell me that she had been run over - at least then i would know that she had not been subjected to unneccessary cruelty.

I've been in touch with the RSPCA and she is now on their database with her michrochip identity, and also the Cats Protection league. I have put an advert in our local free paper (cost £45) with her photo - and i am also offering a reward for her safe return or information that will lead to her return. I've contacted the police and told them of my suspicion that she might have been snatched - but they say that they have no knowledge of any cats disappearing in mysterious circumstances. But will keep it in mind. Whether they will, i dont know - but i have to make all possible attempts to try to find her in whatever state she is in now. I am now too scared to let Tara out of my sight and she cannot understand why she has to stay in the house so much, not that she ever goes far but she's always been more confident than Vinny.

I'm sorry for being so morose but i'm sure my good friends on this site will understand

Much Love Dotxx

I've Lost Vinny

Vinny is missing - I've edited her story with a footnote

Dotxx

Dot, please let us know the moment you have any news on Vinny. It's dreadful to lose a much loved pet and you must be feeling really down. I'm thinking of you and hoping for Vinny's safe return.
Much love,
Grace

She's home

My darling is home safe and well, i got her back last night, couldn't let anybody know before now, because my internet has been down for about 3 days, just managed to get back on tonight with the help of our isp.

But miracles do happen, i really did not expect to ever see her again, and i was going through nightmares, i would wake up from a doze during the night and imagine all sorts awful things being done to her, anything from staffie bating to being shipped to the continent - but No i wont even go there, i went to the end of our back garden as i have been doing last thing while she's been missing, and called her, and heard her plaintive miaow.... at first i thought it was sea gull, but No, stood still hardly daring to breath, and then panicked around trying to locate the sound.

Eventually it led me to next doors garage, which she doesn't use for her car... and anyway it wasn't open when Vinny went missing last Sunday, rushed round, Joan my neighbour was all of a dither feeling that she was to blame (which she WAS NOT). But have to say that my Vinny was in exceedingly good condition saying that she had in theory not been fed or watered for 7 days. She wasn't ravenous and only delicately lapped her water. (she doesn't like milk).

So she is grounded now for the foreseeable future, not that she bothers very much about going out anyway, which is why it was such a trauma when she was nowhere to be found.

I've been round today taking down all the posters off the telegraph poles, and letting all know who where concerned which is a lot of people. Informed the RSPCA and the Cats protection league.

Have to say i got her back just in time to retain my sanity.

All for now lotsaluv to you all

Dotxxx

good news

Thats good news Dorothy,, so pleased for you & Scoundrel :)

Alls well that ends well,, Billy Spokeshave 8)

How absolutely lovely Dot. In the 70's we took our siamese to Germany with us, and lost her for three days. I know exactly how you feel now. :D

I am so pleased Vinnie is safe - I've been watching for news every day, Dorothy and feared the worst when I hadn't seen anything from you. Great news!

Absolutely delighted Dot at your dear pet's return. Was just telling a cat loving friend about her last night and like Kate said I feared the worst. Wonderful news.

Good to learn Vinny's back, safe and sound, and non the worse.

A Puuuurrrfick end :lol:

Back