• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vine Inn Villa Street

vine inn update...:):)

hi folks....my search is almost over:Dancedance04:...:):) vine searcher who is also an old childhood friend and villa st neighbour has just informed me that he will be going to see his uncle on sunday who has more than one pic of the vine...:):)so hopefully by monday at the latest you will be able to see just what all the fuss has been about...:rolleyes::rolleyes: i knew it had to be in someones private collection...thanks to alan for tracking it down and to all of you who have been searching for this pub for me for a long time...

lyn:):)

Lyn - the photograph will stop us all thinking that the Vine is a figment of your imagination..................:D:D:D Mabz

the vine redo 3.jpg :):):):) OK EVERYONE HERE IT IS.......:):):) THE VERY LONG AWAITED PIC OF THE VINE INN..VILLA STREET HOCKLEY...I SPENT MANY A HAPPY HOUR IN THE GARDENS OF THIS PUB HAVING LIVED ACCROSS THE ROAD FROM IT AND IT WAS IN THE BAR THAT MY DEAR DAD SPENT MANY AN HOUR TEACHING ME TO PLAY DARTS.... ORIGINALLY A BEER HOUSE AND AS FAR AS I CAN TELL IT WAS NOT CALLED THE VINE UNTIL SOMETIME IN THE 30S...I CANT THANK MY FRIEND ALAN (VINE SEARCHER)(WHO ALSO LIVED IN VILLA ST) ENOUGH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO GO OVER TO SEE HIS UNCLE TODAY AND GET THIS PIC...I DID SAY THAT WHEN YOU SEE IT YOU WILL PROBABLY WONDER WHAT ALL THE FUSS WAS ABOUT AS ITS NOT MUCH TO LOOK AT BUT ITS MY HAPPY MEMORIES AND MY CHILDHOOD THAT IT SIGNIFIES:) MISSION ACCOMPLISHED...:):):)

LYN:beam::beam::beam:

Last edited:
Hello Lynn
Lovely photo brings back a lot of memories was it the part of Villa street closes to Nursery road or the top end
Went to school with a girl whose last name was Harper who lived in Villa street
Thanks again for the memories
Pam

thank you all...to say i am over the moon is an understatement...i shall be getting 2 A4 glossy copies..i for me and one for our kid it will then hang proudly with all my other photos....mike to give in is to accept defeat and unless i have to i try to plod on regardless:rolleyes:..as there are a couple of threads re the vine i will also post it under the pubs thread just in case anyone else is searching for it and may miss it on the kellys thread....pam it was accross nursery rd going towards will st on the left hand side....

thanks again to all of you who been looking out for me i really do appreciate it....:):)

mike..my next mission..well it dont get much better than this but maybe a full pic of my house would be good:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

cheers from a very happy astoness....:):)

hi all..im absolutely delighted that after making some enquires i will soon have another 2 pics to go with the one below... the reporter took 3 pics of the locals inside the vine inn on the last day of opening...to date all i had was this one as a newspaper cutting but i will now be ordering copies of all 3:):)

lyn

thanks shirl..im chuffed to bits as the vine inn has been a mission for me lol....just received this morning a copy of the pic of our dad in the acorn wheeler st...the quality is amazing...

lyn

Lyn I am thrilled for you. It's great when you find info on your family but a photo of your Dad fantastic!!

vine inn 120 year old..taken 1978 mr howard eaton from icknield st on harmonica...jpg vine_inn_1978_4956871.jpg hi all...just received from mirrorpix 2 photos taken from the original pics of the locals in the vine inn on the day it closed:( november 1978....ive still got one more to order and i think the quality of the pics are marvelous...in the second pic you can see on the right the little serving hatch us kids used to buy our crisps and pop...we got to it down the entry...to say im delighted with these is an understatement...i know our old neighbour and best friend of our dads is in the first pic and i will ask him if he recognises anyone in the second..

cheers.

lyn

Last edited:
They really squeezed that one in Lyn. Be very intimate on busy nights! Viv.

lol viv...it was not a massive pub but had a lounge and bar to it..think the gardens were bigger than the two rooms put together...even now im still chuffed to have this one...

lyn

I am 51 years old and my mom and dad was best friends with Cora & Cyril who used to run the vine pub they had a daughter Ann at the time I knew them when I was eleven Ann was like a big sister can't remember much more at the moment our family were the SEYMOURS and lived at 1 back of 144 villa street had to go down a Halley between 2 houses to get to our house it was facing the car park of the big business place think it was called southalls

hello maggie and welcome...so nice to hear from someone else who lived in villa st...i remember your family surname but my brother would recall more as he used to be friends with what must have been your brother...the factory you mentioned was southall and smiths...i lived at 118 family name is harrington....just wondering if you have any old photos of the street...and what year did you leave there..i moved there in 1958 and left in 1972..think i have a photo of the alley that led to your house..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi yes my brothers were friends with yours I don't have any pics mark is the only one I remember he was my brother Stevens mate I terrible with dates but remember when I was 11 im 51 now I was taken to Devon with Ann who was the daughter of Cora and Cyril who had the vine pub .on villa street

villa_st_2_1970_copy.jpgyes thats it maggie i remember the name steven...also the names cora and cyril springs to mind...if you lived opposite southalls down an alley then i think you can see the alley on the left of this pic to the right of the white building of copes pearl buttons...if you click on the pic it will enlarge for you

lyn

Last edited:
thats great maggie i thought i must be right as you can just see the car park and southalls on the right of that pic...would your dad have been in the vine on the day it closed in 1978??

lyn

Dad passed away at 87 years old 2010 so a high possibility they lived in the pub lol we were always outside in prams lol but remember as you went in there was a door on the right which was the bar then up a bit there was a door which was a little serving hatch then just next to that was the smoke room where my mom Irene seymour and dad george seymour used to sing

sorry to hear about your dad maggie my dad passed away in may this year aged 84....you have discribed the inside of the vine to a tee..we were always a the little serving hatch buying pop and crisps and taking them into the back garden...i do have two photos taken on the last day the pub pulled pints like i say this was in 1978 and in one of them you can see the serving hatch...the landlord at the time was walter kavangh and his wife...our mark has looked at it and thinks it could be your dad standing behind the bar with the landlord if not your dad could be one of the other customers....did your dad wear glasses...

lyn

ive a gut feeling then that it could be your dad in one of the pics...cant see all of his face but im sure you will know if it is him...can you give a few mins to scan and post them maybe your mom is there as well...

I can't see attachments on this site on ipad will have a look on laptop tomorrow very interesting forum brings back such good memories

here you go maggie hope you get these on the ipad...the first pic shows what could be your dad standing behind the bar with the gaffer and in the second pic you can see the serving hatch..also were you able to see the pic on post 81 showing the alley way to your house??
lyn

Last edited:
oh thats a shame maggie but at least we have pics of the inside of the pub...shame our dad isnt there but by 78 we were living somewhere else...dads best friend frank brady is in the middle of pic 1 standing behind the man wearing the jumper..frank lived next door to us at no 120...forgot to say that im not on facebook but if you would like to keep in touch send me a private message and i will send you my email address...been good talking to you must tell our mark..

lyn

Yes I know frank Brady and the sons also in the pic is another guy named mick Brady not related and also another guy so will defo keep in touch through here I have pinned to my ipad it's been great thanks linda what age are you now then sent you a friend request through here so keep in touch xxxx

sadly frank passed away just 3 weeks after our dad...im 59 now ...will go and pick up your friends request

lyn

Back