• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vine Hotel Alma Street

Lady Penelope

master brummie
The finding of gold coins on an other thread prompted me to post these pictures. My cousin is a deterctorist and found this token in a field in
Leicestershire. Unfortunately its not gold!

Vine.jpgVine 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Vine was at 64 Alma St, on the corner with Whitehead St. It disappeared sometime on the 1920s

map 1880s showing vine inn alma St.jpg

In july 1924, the licence of the Vine was, with others, refused renewal under the consolidation scheme
Birm post.29.4.1924.jpgBirm post. 18.7.1924.jpg

Thanks for filling in some information on this pub Mike. I know that the powers that be decided to reduce the numbers of public houses in Birmingham at some point but I'm not actually sure how the consolidation scheme affected them. Or am I getting confused with the time they closed pubs and opened beer houses to reduce gin drinking?

There seem to be at least 2 schemes in the 20th century, one referred to here and an earlier one 10-15 years before.

Back