• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Road Aston

It was in my pocket!
Haven't you heard the saying, "Is that a beard in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

I decided that if anyone wants to checkout the names on my 1st photo they can open the attached MSWord document. Maybe someone will recognise themselves or others?

HI DAVE ,
BRILLIANT, Clocked A Couple Of Faces Now .And Remembered Them
By Golly Don,t Time Fly When You Are Young You Think Life Is Eternity
Names And Faces Remembered , Are , As Follows.
Irenen Sheldon , Neibour , Malcolm Brooks ,George Coffman , The Chorley Family
Whom Bought My Grand Fathers Terrace House Behind His Bussiness In Park Lane
And Of Course Taber ,
Thanks For The Memory Dave , Speak Again Soon , ASTONIAN , [ ALAN ] ;;

Astonian do you remember the Perks family in Park Lane?. I may have asked this before but not had an answer. Spoke to Sissy Hillier the other day and at 84 she remembers everyone from Park Lane. Jean.

HI JEAN,
How Are You Today How Are You Holding Up This Cold Weather There No Sign Of A Let Up Is There ?. Yes I Most Certainly Remember The Perks Family, And Also I Have In The Past Tried To Trace The Perks For The Simple Reason They Was One Way Or Another Connected To My Mother TheY Used To Come To Our House Often Mom Said That One Of Them Was A GOOD Dancer And She Would Often Dance AtThe Tower Ball room To Get Practice Before A Show As You KnowAnd ASI Have Said n Past Threads My mother Was Connected To The Show Bussines World That Toured Arond And Dance Every Where The Perks Mother Or Grand Mother Lived In A Posh
Big House In Septon Rd Edgbaston Bt The Tower Ballroom And Another One Of The Auntys Lived In One Of The Bigger Posh Hoses In Beaufort Rd Which Was Right Behind The Plough And Harrow Hotel Edgbaston , And Yes I Can Recall Alot Of The Familys Whom Lived Down Park Lane And To Day I Can Recall The First NewBuilding In Park Lane That Was Ever Built And That Was Saphire Tower By The Old Sutton Rd ,
I Don,nt Like The Look Of Them House That They Replaced The Old House ,
I Would Imagine Its A No Go AREA In Brum Now ,I May Be Wrong , IHad A Younger
Brother Whom Used To Lve In Bartons Bank Up Till A Couple Of Years AGO
But He Had Enough Of The Troubles There So He Moved And Gone To LiveUp By The Barr Beacons We,ll Jean , I Have Got To Go And Make A Move And Drive Into The Centre Of Worcestershire Before The Snow They Have Promised
So I Will Sign Off Now For A While And I Will Catch You Later ,
Have A Nice Day And Be Careful Out There Best Wishes ASTONIAN , [ALAN ];;;

hi dave
i am sure i know two of the kids in your photo
stella barlow from phillips st off aston rd, & roy whitmore
whom i went to charles arthur st school school with in 1954 -55, nice one, & thank you. Terry ward

hi dave
i am sure i know two of the kids in your photo
stella barlow from phillips st off aston rd, & roy whitmore
whom i went to charles arthur st school school with in 1954 -55, nice one, & thank you. Terry ward
Hi Terry,
Roy and I used to play snooker together quite a lot at Aston Cross when we were about 16. If you started at CAS in 54-55 you could have been a year in front of me as I started there in 55? Yet Roy was in the same class as me (as the photo shows) and unfortunately your name doesn't ring a bell! Do you know what happened to Roy? He used to be a polisher in our snooker days at a place on Aston Road not far from The Albion pub.
Have you any school photos from CAS?

hi dave
thanks for your repy
i am sorry i have no photo,s of cas school
you may know my brother he started there in 1956 graham ward
we lived at gosta green at the time, lawrence st.
i only remeber roy by his name,
i know stella through her family, her brother peter went to cas 1953
i see him now & again
thanks again for your reply will be in touch again bye for now terry ward

OK Guys and Gals,
Just thought I might get us all back on the original Thread "Victoria Road" with these 4 pictures I've attached.

Blimey, those photos bring back some memories, Dave! Especially the baths. Hard to believe these days that anyone living in those parts would even be aware of the Conservative Party, never mind being a member of such an august institution as the Conservative Club! All gone now, of course.

Mention of Digger Flake tobacco reminds me that I used to smoke that when I was hard and macho, and my mother used to remark that 'if I lit that stuff up one more time I'd be out in the street!'

Big Gee

Lovely photo's Dave and Big Gee I bet you were never out on the street?. Does anyone remember a child getting run over outside the police station?. It was awful as she came from Manor road. I,m saying she may have been a boy I was very young at the time. I and quite a few others were told off for being late for school as we stood and watched the funeral. Jean.

Does anyone have any information about a murder that happened in Victoria Road, maybe in the 1920's or 1930's? I can remember reading about this years ago, and as I recall it was to do with a pair of bank-robbers who stole a car for their escape. I believe that they shot someone who tried to apprehend them, in broad daylight right on Victoria Road. My gran used to rabbit on about this crime, using it as a morality-tale in case I, too, decided against a life of hard, honest toil.

Big Gee

Apparently my Dad and Uncle often frequented Aston Conservative Club and I don't think it was to discuss politics. My Mom told me she often wondered how they got home, especially when we moved to Sutton!

hi dave
the photo,s are great, i check the site every other day i n hope
of finding new photo,s
i hope to see stella,s brother soon & will ask how things are.
with stella, as soon as i can i will be in touch terryward

Great photos Dave and the connections to them. My Aunt Ida taught swimming at Victoria Road Baths after the First World War and my father's oldest sister received a special certificate from there which she left to her granddaughter who has it framed and proudly displayed on the wall of her house in St. Catherines, Ontario.

Maybe someone can recall this story.

My great grandfather was sent to Broadmoor for the murder of his wife at 404 Victoria Road, in the 40s. I do not remember very much about the details it was kept from us, i used to visit him once a month. I was only about 6 at the time.
I would love to find out more but both my grandparents are now sadly no longer with us.

Susiemoon,

I was a P.C. at Victoria Road when Mr Chaplin killed his wife. However it was in the 1950s not 1940s. I seem to remember his name as Albert Chaplin but am not sure. It was about 1954 but I am sure that it was a Saturday.

If you wish I will send you an Instant Message telling you what little I know.

Old Boy

Hi

Thanks for the info. His name was Bertram Chaplin.

Please send me a message with all the details you can remember PLEASE.

Regards

if i remember correctly this 404 victoria rd was just past the victoria rd p.o and next to a big entry where the douglas family and the fishers and the dowls family lived i was freinds of these people
when i was a little whipper snapper and i remember them poiting the house out to me and making joking remarks about it

if i remember correctly this 404 victoria rd was just past the victoria rd p.o and next to a big entry where the douglas family and the fishers and the dowls family lived i was freinds of these people
when i was a little whipper snapper and i remember them poiting the house out to me and making joking remarks about it

My Grandparents lived in 404 too. I do not know if they required the house after the incident or was already living there. I also lived there for many years with them until they both died. I used to sit on the front step alot.

Susie

Hi all, I have relatives on my family tree who lived in 95 Victoria Road, from the 1920's the surname I am researching is Garner. If any one may have known any Garners. would love to hear about them.
Lyn

hi lynda
the name rings a bell with me because we lived close to them we lived
at 47 victoria rd aston i was young and single living life
so 95 was on the door step as i am tapping now i am getting the brain into gear
and i am sure i can recall your name
best wishes astonion ;;;

Good Morning
Thank you for your reply, what years are you looking at, is it the Garner families you are remembering, there was a Violet, William, Lottie, Jossi, Ethel, Iris, and some other siblings I dont know there names yet.

Lynda

I remember victoria road,the police station backed onto my old junior school,manor park,which was the other side of vicarage road.I lived on vicarage road until 1971 whwn we were rehoused due to the compulsory purchases by the council,we moved to kingstanding which almost became an aston overspill.Does anyone have any photos of the old vicarage from where the road took its name.it was knocked down in the 60s so ive been told,thanks all.

Have read over this thread again and it brought back some lovely memories. If anyone wants information about Kenny Williams Dave Bath is the one to ask or Barb his wife as they are his relatives. I went on a swimming teachers course with Ken several years ago and I swam in a two men two women team at Warley baths. It was a masters event another way of saying a bit older than the norm. I used to call into Buckinghams the Chemist for the cream for my eyes after swimming. Mr Milner used to coach me too and he was a gentleman. TTFN. Jean.

Back