• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vickers Valetta VW197 (not Viking as thought), Elmdon airport 12th August 1970

gary_m_walton

master brummie
Hi all, just thought I'd post my picture of the Vickers Valetta (not Viking as first thought - thanks oldMohawk) which seemed to remain at Elmdon for some time. Not sure of the history of this plane so if anyone knows, I'd be grateful.

Attachments

• B654.jpg
    B654.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I flew back from West Africa whilst in the RAF in June 1951 by a Hunting Airways Viking (Pic attached) , so they go back some time. Also when the Airport was completed early 1939 the employees of Bryant's the builders, the main contractors were invited to bring their families to the opening ceremony, we saw the first aircraft to land there, a Dragon Rapide, the first aircraft I had ever seen I was 8 at the time Eric

Attachments

• Viking at Gao Saraha desert.jpg
    Viking at Gao Saraha desert.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Pedrocut, not at all, the sun was over head and the desert was shimmering and I'm no photographer, you have made a great improvement, I will down load it and put it in my album. Incidentally that refuelling spot at Gao was run by the French Foreign Legion, how they got the fuel up there is a mystery. That was in 1951, 70 years ago, aircraft can now cross the desert without needing to refuel, that's progress. Eric

I might be wrong but I think it is the Valetta aircraft pictured in the post below ... :)
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ody-is-being-transported-in.33243/post-551660
Also in the suggested thread is an interesting pic of a Viking landing at Southend.

Thanks OldMohawk, you are correct, that is the one and another bit of sadness. It's interesting about the breakup in 1971 as this helps me date my photo a little better. The wealth of knowledge on here is staggering and thanks again. Appreciated.

Hi all, just to clarify, it looks like it was scrapped 11/1970 and not in 1971 as other posts suggested. Evidence is:

1639082428724.png

... and this (which is a link from eBay for a negative and shows a semi-scrapped VW197)

1639082478180.png

Might be useful to historians.

Hi all, just thought I'd post my picture of the Vickers Valetta (not Viking as first thought - thanks oldMohawk) which seemed to remain at Elmdon for some time. Not sure of the history of this plane so if anyone knows, I'd be grateful.
I flew back from West Africa whilst in the RAF in June 1951 by a Hunting Airways Viking (Pic attached) , so they go back some time. Also when the Airport was completed early 1939 the employees of Bryant's the builders, the main contractors were invited to bring their families to the opening ceremony, we saw the first aircraft to land there, a Dragon Rapide, the first aircraft I had ever seen I was 8 at the time Eric
I have just read on an aircraft history site that Don Everall (Aviation) was flying out of Birmingham airport using a Vickers Viking which was based there. They were also operating a De Havilland Dragon Rapide from there as well. This was from about 1951 up until 1960/61 when operations ceased.
a picture from the site, I don't know if this was the one at Elmdon
Screenshot 2021-12-20 074743.jpg

(Added later) The one operating from Elmdon can be seen here https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1645994

Last edited:
I have just read on an aircraft history site that Don Everall (Aviation) was flying out of Birmingham airport using a Vickers Viking which was based there. They were also operating a De Havilland Dragon Rapide from there as well. This was from about 1951 up until 1960/61 when operations ceased.
a picture from the site, I don't know if this was the one at Elmdon
View attachment 165234

(Added later) The one operating from Elmdon can be seen here https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1645994
The photo of one of Don Evervall's DH89A Rapides on the ABpic limk is one that I took in the 1950's at Elmdon.
Everalls had four Rapides two Douglas C47 / DC3's and three Vickers Vikings as well as five single engine light aircraft.
Their main base was at Wolverhampton with aircraft out posted to Elmdon for operational purposes.
The ABpic site has a very (very) large collection of photographs covering 1920/30's to present day.
Access is FREE just put ABpic in search, load and click on "search" , put in "Birmingham",
You can search by airfield, event, aircraft model, registration etc.
AB is Air Britain Historians established 1949 for the serious spotter.
To see my collection put "Roy G Plant" in the photographer box
Enjoy ROYSTON

Back