• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Veggies

We have 12 tomato plants in the garden besides other veggies. By the end of the summer we will have more tomatoes than we can eat. They are not ready yet. When we start having a frost I hate to see the tomatoes zapped so I pick them all and wrap them in newspaper and put them in a card board box.
They will last for several months like that and gradually turn red, although they are not as nice. I use them for salad or cooking. Most fruits will store like that as long as they are dry. Once the frost comes here that is it with the garden.
Norma I like all the veggies and peppers roasted in the oven or in tin foil on the BBQ with a little oil or salad dressing to keep them moist. Mmmm:) Mo

Sakura, we do all sorts of thing with the green ones. Have you tried green tomato chutney? I like it but I dont know if it is an aquired taste.

Nas, they need to in total darkness thats waht the paper is for and although they should not be kept cold, artificial heat will cause them to deteriorate. We wrap ours in newspaper and keep them in a drawer.

I do like tomato chutney but I tasted it while I was cooking it once and the recipe had mustard in it. Wow it burnt my mouth. I'm th only one who likes it so I don't make it now. :) Mo

Beryl a few posts back you mentioned zuccini. Sounds delicious but what is it please. Love trying different things. Jean.:wave::wave:

Thanks Norma, I'm just going to get lunch so I will raid the beet jar. John and I both love it. Salad is my lunch almost every day.
Jean they are a vegetable that looks like a small marrow, probably is the same thing as I have had them grow huge. We get them when they are a few inches long, smaller than half a cucumber. We eat them several times a week or rather my daughter who is a vegetarian and I do, John is not fond of them as there is not much substance to them. Man thing eh!
Our favorite is in stir fry with peppers and mushrooms and anything that is going tossed with a little soy sauce and noodles. Before we add the sauce we sometimes add a beaten egg and stir it until it is all mixed and cooked. Must go and get lunch this makes me hungry. :)Mo

Last edited:
Nas Sakura I've tried to force myself to like beets but they have beat me. [Excuse the pun]. I heard they are very good for several health issues. See you both later for a drink. Ann b may be joining if Keith has ok'd it. Jean.

NAS, We always have a jar in the cupboard and some years I grow plenty as well. I will eat them anytime.

Jean, Norma here is a photo of a zuchini. But as you say Norma the size varies. This is the size we like. Sometime I slice them long ways and grill them with some seasoning on top. :) Mo
View attachment 15973

In an earlier post I said I was growing an old leaf vegetable called 'CARDOOM' No one replied, does that mean you have all tried it and didnt like it or hav'nt you heard of it?

Norma you mentioned tomatoes the size of grapes are those what we call cherry tomatoes here in Canada?

Mo it looks like our courgettes. Stitcher is that the watercress seed you were on about?. Either way I have never heard of it but let me know how it turns out?. Jean.

Gee Gee jean, I thought zucchini was auubergine.
I did mention watercress in an earlier post and said that because it needs to grow in running water, if you grow it and keep it very wet you risk stomache bugs like salmonella. I grow 'American Land Cress'. It looks like actual watercress and tastes exactly the same but it grows in ordnary soil in the garden and needs no special treatment.
The seeds I mentioned were 'CARDOOM' it is an old veg and I have never heard of it. From what I have read it is used rather like spinach.

Looking forward to the outcome of your spinach look taste alike. I do love watercress though. Water is vital to life but it store some horrible organisms. Should have seen the results of some of the pool tests at Wyndley and you used to swim in it [and at swallow it] Doesn't bear thinking about. Jean.:sick:

Gee Gee Jean, if you havent, you really ought to try American Land Cress. The only difference in shape and taste is that is probably a little more peppery. Lubberly Jubberly.

Do you know of a stockist Stitcher. My tortoises eat a lot of cress but if it's the expensive kind I'll have it myself. I spend £9 a big tub for their food cook them caulies and other veg they are spoiled. Had them for years though. Bye. Jean.

Gee Gee Jean I am sure I got my seeds from a Wyevale garden centre. I promise you G. The look and taste are udisguingishable, blimey is that a real word, from normal water cress. Do You have a fish pond because my friend buys a bunch of watercress and drops it loosley into his pond. It grows very quickly and is a very good airator for the water. You could do this and when it is growing you can thin it out and give to your tortoise. If you dont have a pond you could always make a tray as I did and grow it. It matures very quickly and the health thing wouldnt be a problem for the pet. If you are worried you could always ask the vet or pet shop first.

Alf thanks for that. Going to bed with my stomach saying my throats cut. [Another old Brummy saying]. Jean.

Jean, obviously hasn't seen your links yet Alf, but please try sautéed zucchini browned each side in butter and add crispy bacon bits absolutlely delicious. . .

It is a must for my family here in Canada for both Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas. . .

Take care Beryl

Back