• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

VE Day

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
This photograph was taken outside our house in Putney Road Handsworth, it was the street party to celebrate the end of the war. This was at a time when neighbours knew each other rather than parking the car and walking straight into the house!

Last edited:
Charlie. I can well remember our street party and even which side I sat at the long row of tables, everyone must have chipped in with their tables and chairs. If I remember correctly the ice cream came around in a bucket and I also believe we got a helping of Jelly and Blancmange all very filling.
At the time I did'nt know what the fuss was all about so why care we were having a great time.
Just wish someone had got a camera in Coleman Street.

I'm the first girl to the right of the boy in the Union Jack uniform - and Mrs Harding, from the photo in the Wilson Road School thread is the adult standing behind him.

I remember coming home with my mom one afternoon from shopping. Someone was roling a piano into the street. I seem to remember bonfires piles being set up in the middle of the road - was I right - I was only four. Then I know there was some kind of party going on, but I was probably in bed and checked periodicaly by my older sisters but if feel I was there. I am sure I remember dancing in the street and the bonfires burning. My bedroom overlooked the street; I must have seen it.

GER-baby, love you too.. mmmwah!

Mike: I was only four as well, so don't remember a lot about it, I can remember most of the names of the people in the photo though, but that's because they didn't move around so much in those days, most were hatched matched and despatched from the same house.

It is a fantastic photo Charlie. I was living in Hamstead on VE day, and although I've got lots of photo's of the family in the 30's in the 40's zilch.

I remember it quite clearly, there was a huge bonfire built by the side of the village air raid shelter at the bottom of Newlands. Tables were all laid for us children, the sun shone all day and out came the food that had been hidden away for just such a time. In the evening I can recall being at an aunts house in Newlands, all of our family were there, and all of her neighbours. We did the conga out of the front door tround the houses and back in by the back door.

Hi Charlie,

Just looked at your VE Day photograph of Putney Road. Would you mind me being nosy and asking what number the houses were in the picture? I am researching a family that lived on Putney Road and it would be amazing if they lived in one of those houses in the photograph.
Regards

Macca.

Macca: I lived at 200 Putney Road, this was taken a little further along so I would guess around the top 100's.
Hope this helps.
I'm away for a few days now, so forgive me if I don't reply to any questions you may have until later next week.

Thanks for that Charlie, the family I'm researching lived at no.s 53 & 119 so it would have been on the opposite side of the road. Great picture.

Macca, the houses on the other side of the road to ours were a bit 'posher' (always did live on the wrong side of the tracks)! They were mostly semi's and newer than the terrace houses you see.

VE Day - Rocky Lane, Perry Barr

Rocky Lane, Perry Barr, VE Day, 8th May 1945.

"Harry and Peter have one". Peter later became my brother-in-law.

(Charlie's image seems to have been lost during a Forum upgrade. Any chance of its being reposted? And any other pictures of that day which haven't already been posted elsewhere?)

Chris

Re: VE Day - Rocky Lane, Perry Barr

Rocky Lane, Perry Barr, VE Day, 8th May 1945.

Chris
Nice clear photo of Rocky Lane. The VE party I was at was about 2 miles from there. One thing that has always intrigued me about that road, is a group of semi detached on the left side near the Walsall Rd did not have tiled pitched roofs, they had flat roofs - probably can be seen on Streetview. Wonder if anyone knows why ?

Back