• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Varney family 1800s

cathjpb

Brummie babby
I'm researching my family history for a possible book. I'm Australian and my ancestors came from Birmingham in the 1830s. My great great grandmother was Clarinda Varney whose father was Robert Varney and brother John Varney. I know her mother died and she did not get on with her step-mother but I don't know any details about these two women or how her mother died. Clarinda married Henry Parkes and he came to be Australia's Father of Federation and Sir Henry Parkes, a very respected Australian politician. I also know that Robert Varney was a whipmaker. I would love to hear anything you might know about this.

Cath Blake

Cath
Not quite sure what you want to know, but hope the following is of interest. i have only gone to 1845, but can go further if of any interest:

In the 1818 Wrightson’s directory. John Varney was a whipmaker in Digbeth. There was also a Varney & Co, brushmakers, in Digbeth, w ho are likely to have been related in some way. (Digbeth is a street in Birmingham). In the later directory entries (from various directories) there is probably, but not certainly, several John Varneys
1823 - 1829. Varney John, whip and brush maker, 40, Digbeth
1833 Varney John, brush and whip maker,311,Cheapside
1839 Varney and Co., whip makers, Cheapside
1839 Varney John, dyer and clothes cleaner, 72, Rea street
1841 Varney John, dyer and clothes cleancr, 66 Worcester st (age 30 in census)
1841 Varney John, dyer, 63 Rea st
1841 Varney John and Co. whip makers, 311 Cheapside (68 in census)
1845 Varney & Pledge, manufacturers of whips & whip thongs, 311 Cheapside, Deritend
1845 Varney, John silk, dyer, 121 Great Charles St. & 88 New St. & 63 Rea St

Mike

Re: Varney and Parkes

Parkes is not an uncommon name, but would this be Henry Thomas Parkes listed in 1833 & 1839 , as:
Parkes, Henry Thomas, Manufr.of dipping and gilding metals. 33 Bromsgrove St
but who had disappeared from the directories by 1841 ?

Thank you! John Varney's father, Robert, was a whipmaker so this sounds promising. Clarinda and Henry left the UK in 1839 so the other Thomas Henry Parkes is probably a relative. I'm pretty sure Henry's father was Thomas. I'd love to find out about the women in the family - Clarinda's mother and stepmother. Thank you for your info. It gives me a starting point and you are the first to respond.

Just re-read your Parkes suggestion. Yes, this probably was Henry Parkes. As I said in previous post, his father was Thomas. I have only read that he was a bone and ivory turner but I know he tried his hand at lots of things. He and Clarinda sailed to Sydney in 1839. From his humble beginnings, he became a celebrated orator, the Founder of Federation in Australia, the one who started a national railway system and public education. He is hugely celebrated here. His image is on our $5 note, a country town named after him, streets everywhere, his portrait in our Old Parliament House etc. I wonder if this is known in Birmingham?

First name: Clarinda
Last name: VARNEY
Date of burial 27 Nov 1825
Age at death: 41
Calculated year of birth: 1784
Place of burial Birmingham
Dedication: St Paul
County: Warwickshire

Robert Varney, Whip Maker, formerley of Cheapside died 7th May 1860 at Darwin Street.
The Will was proved by the oath of Cornelius Whittall,shoemaker, of Cheapside, the surviving Executor.
Robert left effects below £450.

Burial Year:1860
Surname:VARNEY
First name:Robert
Register no:15618
No. in grave:4
Monumental Inscription:MI
Place:Key Hill cemetery

Burial Year:1860
Surname:VARNEY
First names:Ann
Register no:15977
No. in grave:4
Monumental Inscription:MI
Place:Key Hill cemetery

1851 at 171, Darwin Street, Aston,
Robert Varney aged 63, Whip Maker born Buckinghamshire
Ann Varney,wife aged 68 born Birmingham.

It seems this is another memorial that is buried at Key Hill cemetery. This was done in the 60's to make maintenance easier. My own family grave was buried, I have had it lifted and re-instated it is also in P section.

The four people in grave no 334 section P are:

Sarah Varney I only have an inscription for her. To the memory of Sarah Varney died March 31st 1846 aged 60.
Ann Varney died 1860
Robert Varney died 1860
Dinah Parkes died 1877.

I think this is a connection to the family but unsure where.

In 1841 this is the family Dinah is living with

Address Snow Hill

Joseph Parkes 30 occupation Button Maker, interesting as this would have been working in bone, ivory and mother of pearl.
Eliza " 30
George " 4
Emma " 2
Rowland " 1
Dinah " 50
Benjamin " 11

I found a marriage on Familysearch

William Parkes & Dinah Cuttler or Cutler on 31st December 1810 Edgbaston Warks.

This looks like the lady buried in Key Hill cemetery born abt 1792 -1877 age 85.

Last edited by a moderator:
1851 at Hampstead Road, Handsworth
Joseph Parkes, 39 born 1812 Birmingham, Button Maker Employing 71 People
Eliza Parkes, Wife aged 39 born 1812 Birmingham,
George Frederic Parkes, Son aged 14 born 1837 Birmingham,
Emma Nightingale Parkes, Daughter aged 12 born 1839 Birmingham,
Roland Parkes, Son aged 10 born 1841 Birmingham,
Clara Dinah Parkes, Daughter aged 3 born 1848 Handsworth,
Mary Bertha Parkes, Daughter aged 1 born 1850 Handsworth,
Elizabeth Parkes, Aunt Widow aged 68 born 1783 Birmingham, Annuitant
Dinah Parkes, Mother-In-Law Widow aged 59 born 1792 Birmingham,

1861 at Oak House, Soho Hill, Handsworth
Joseph Parkes, aged 49 born 1812 Birmingham, Coal Merchant Employing 5 Men
Eliza Parkes, Wife aged 49 born 1812 Birmingham,
Dinah Parkes, Mother Widow aged 69 born 1792 Birmingham, Visitor
George F Parkes, Son aged 24 born 1837 Birmingham,
Emma N Parkes, Daughter aged 22 born 1839 Birmingham,
Eliza D Parkes, aged 13 1848 Handsworth,
Rowland Parkes, Son aged 20 born 1841 Birmingham, Brass Founder Apprentice
Mary B Parkes, Daughter aged 11 born 1850 Birmingham,
H Parkes, Son aged 9 born 1852 Birmingham
Lydia A Parkes, Daughter aged 5 born 1856 Birmingham,
Eliza Daley, Servant aged 22 born 1839 Staffordshire, House Servant

It would seem the people of Birmingham did know about Henry Parkes if they read The Birmingham Daily Post on Friday 22nd May 1874

Attachments

• parkes_Fri_May_222C_1874.JPG
    parkes_Fri_May_222C_1874.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 14
  • parkes_fri_may_22_1874__2.JPG
    parkes_fri_may_22_1874__2.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 12
  • parkes_fri_may_22_1874___3.JPG
    parkes_fri_may_22_1874___3.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 12
Wow this is getting interesting. Great work Ladylinda, Joseph did well didn't he. Polly what a great article he was a self made man.

I am now wondering was Sarah Varney in the grave at Key Hill, Roberts first wife. Cath mentions in her first post that her great, great grandmother didn't get on with her step mother. A bit confusing as Sarah was 60 when she died.

Both Clarinda and her brother John were christened at St Martins.
Parents were Robert Varney and Clarinda
12 Aug 1813 Clarinda
07 Aug 1812 John

Joseph Parkes seems to have been a man of many trades. He lists different trades in 1851 and 1861. Actually he seems to carry out both simultaneously In the 1855 PO directory under Joseph Parkes there is:
Parkes Joseph, coal merchant, Bordesley street wharf
Parkes Joseph, coal merchant., 18 Lionel street
eParkes Joseph, horn button manufacturer, 16 & 17 Lioncl st
Parkes Joseph, jeweller & black ornament manufacturer, 185 Warstone lane
Parkes Joseph, pearl button maker, 13 Court, Price street
Parkes Joseph, rag merchant, 43 Price street
Presumably the coal merchants and button manufacturers are the same man ?

Wow. This is fantastic! it looks like Clarinda Parkes mother was also Clarinda and died in 1825 when Clarinda would have been 12 years old. I think the step mother who she didn't get on with must have been Ann Varney. I'm not entirely sure who Sarah was or why Dinah Parkes would have been buried with the Varneys.

Thanks to all of you for this great info!!

Could I add another query? I know that Clarinda and Henry's first two children died in infancy while they still lived in Birmingham and were buried there. This would have been in 1837 and 1838. Any information on these infants would be great. Their next child, Clarinda as well, was born in 1839 as their boat rounded the coast of Australia!!! She survived and lived till old age. They had many children and quite a few died in infancy.

From IGI
groom's name Henry Parkes
bride's name Clarinda Varney
marriage date 11 Jul 1836
marriage place Edgbaston,Warwick,England

From St Martins

Baptisim 12 Aug 1813. Clarinda daughter of Robert and Clarinda Varney. Abode Coventry Street. Occupation Whip maker.

I agree Wendy this is getting interesting - especially as it involves key Hill.

cath, just to re-cap - the information you are looking for now is the maiden name of Robert Varney's first wife Clarinda who died in 1825 age 41
And the name of Robert Varney's second wife (possibly) Ann ? and when/where they got married.
Plus the details of the two child deaths in 1837 &1838 (post #15).

Last edited:
There is a great deal of info about this family on Ancestry family trees.
Information given by relative of Henry Parkes/Clarinda Varney including photo of Clarinda and photo of their grave in Faulonbridge New South Wales, australia.
Clarinda Sarah Parkes died in 1888 and Henry Parkes in 1896.
Info includes Robert Varney marriage to Clarinda Taylor 17th December 1809
Clarinda Taylor born 1784 daughter of Richard Taylor and Clarinda nee Cotton.

I am very interested in Clarinda Varney/Parkes life. There is a fair amount known in Australia about Henry's political achievements but not much about the woman who stood beside him. I suppose my main aim is to find out more about her life and situation in Birmingham. There are a lot of Clarinda's in the family and I think this gets confusing. Thanks for all the help. I've been to the graves at Faulconbridge, too and they are very moving.

Just to re-cap more. I don't need to know the maiden name of Robert Varney's wife, Clarinda. That would be interesting but not necessary to my search here. I guess my aim is to research and write a novel based around the life of Clarinda Varney/Parkes. Any info I could find out about her life in Birmingham would help. Thank you all for your help.

Back