• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Valentine day

I hand delivered TWO today because I gave the wrong one last year! Having a spot of Champagne now before dinner.

Snow & ice here in TN. everything is pretty much shut down.

Have Valentine's to everyone on the Forum!

Brilliant photograph, John, and may you share many more. We had to make do with the electronic stuff as we're still in tight lockdown with all but food shops shut. But a cuddle means much more.

Maurice :cool:

Yeah! Secret admirer - now that's what Valentine's Day is all about. Trouble is I've only ever had one secret admirer in my life and when I got the anonymous card it drove me mad for weeks trying to think who might have sent it. :D
Come on chaps, time for us all to 'fess up.
Andrew.

Bit late for Valentine's Day but have just been alerted to an article that appeared in The Times on February 5th called "20 Romantic Walks with a Pub Lunch". It covers the UK and one of the walks featured is Joy's Wood, Moseley, Birmingham". The article explains that "this enchanting wood was the childhood playground of Tolkien. Take a walk through the gnarled old trees and admire the lichens and mosses glistening in the frost. Very soon the bluebells will be appearing ". Doesn't state the length of the walk but I would expect it to be fairly short. Lunch at the Covered Wagon, a short walk away, where they provide gourmet Indian food.

Bit late for Valentine's Day but have just been alerted to an article that appeared in The Times on February 5th called "20 Romantic Walks with a Pub Lunch". It covers the UK and one of the walks featured is Joy's Wood, Moseley, Birmingham". The article explains that "this enchanting wood was the childhood playground of Tolkien. Take a walk through the gnarled old trees and admire the lichens and mosses glistening in the frost. Very soon the bluebells will be appearing ". Doesn't state the length of the walk but I would expect it to be fairly short. Lunch at the Covered Wagon, a short walk away, where they provide gourmet Indian food.
Joys wood in Moseley bog and the adjacent Windermere Fields are super places to walk. Please do bring your wellies though. I walk there every day with my dog.

I personally feel that the local Tolkien enthusiasts do get carried away with the Mordor angle. Joys wood is a fairly recent plantation, and the bog was a lake and a formal garden to the Mel Valley estate. The remains of the greenhouses are still there.

By all means do visit, it is a super spot as is the Covered Waggon for Indian food.

Joys wood in Moseley bog and the adjacent Windermere Fields are super places to walk. Please do bring your wellies though. I walk there every day with my dog.

I personally feel that the local Tolkien enthusiasts do get carried away with the Mordor angle. Joys wood is a fairly recent plantation, and the bog was a lake and a formal garden to the Mel Valley estate. The remains of the greenhouses are still there.

By all means do visit, it is a super spot as is the Covered Waggon for Indian food.

Mort, very pleasant and serene videos!

Nice one thanks:yum:grinning:

Back