• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uplands cemetery smethwick help

c.kember

knowlegable brummie
I have been searching for the burial of my ancestors for sometime and have just found them in Uplands Cemetery
Edward and Emma Evans buried with their daughter Viola.
I have paid for a map but sadly don’t live in the area so it would be a very long journey for me.
I was wondering if anyone is passing if they could do me a massive favour to take a photo of the memorial
I would be so grateful
Many thanks

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_8380.jpeg
    IMG_8380.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8379.jpeg
    IMG_8379.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8384.jpeg
    IMG_8384.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8383.jpeg
    IMG_8383.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8382.png
    IMG_8382.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
hope someone living close can help you out with a photo...i have also moved this thread from general discussions to the correct section of the forum

I do live nearby but it's difficult for me now that I use a rollator, my relatives are on that side on 10c and it's quite muddy!
Have you tried looking on Google maps? You can zoom in quite close and get an idea of the area. hope this helps, sorry I can't go!
rosie.

Thank you Rosie. I will have a look on google maps. Thank you for the suggestion
Many thanks
Chris

I do live nearby but it's difficult for me now that I use a rollator, my relatives are on that side on 10c and it's quite muddy!
Have you tried looking on Google maps? You can zoom in quite close and get an idea of the area. hope this helps, sorry I can't go!
rosie.
I managed to locate the area on google maps but can’t see the stones in enough detail sadly but thank you - it was worth a try
Many thanks
Chris

Hello Chris,

I'm afraid looking at the interment details you posted, I think that there was no gravestone just a burial. The plot would have had a small blue brick grave marker with the number on it, but these don't always survive over the years. Each name has unrecorded next to it, this means there was no gravestone.

In the 1930s there were many local people who could not afford a gravestone. My own family grave there is like this. It was a grassy mound with a little garden and two small conifers. But trees grow and periodically the council makes new graves. The last time I visited, I could not find the exact spot as the earth mound had been levelled.

I live about an hour's drive away and while I'm happy to have a look, I'm afraid there won't be a memorial to photograph for you.

I looked on Find a Grave which has photos of headstones, but didn't find them.

Sorry to post unwelcome news.

Derek

Hi Derek, ah that’s such a shame but I really do appreciate your message and the information
Many thanks
Chris

Back