• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unusual Pub Names

Here is an image from the 1851 census of my gt gt grandfather James Freeth. He was born in Smethwick and became a publican. He had this pub in Albert Road West Brom. I found the details funny if it is as I read them.
Albert Road, Pheasant, Fox and Grouse shop...SHOP!!

View attachment 77551

I have just had another look at this after posting it. I may have it wrong, could it be Pheasant Fox and Grocer Shop..any suggestions ???

In Stourbridge (I presume it is still there), on Glasshouse Hill, there is a pub called The Labour in Vain. The board shows a housewife with a black child in a tub, and she is scrubbing at the child to make the child clean. At one time I believe, because it was not very PC, the name was due to be changed, but the locals protested vigorously and the name remained.
That's what I said in a previous post Shortie. I saw the old sign once. A long time ago. In Nan's day it was a man scrubbing another but as you so described.There was not one when I last went.

I have just had another look at this after posting it. I may have it wrong, could it be Pheasant Fox and Grocer Shop..any suggestions ???
I can't read it at all but I am usually good at these, lots of practice. Can you post it so I can enlarge it Wendy?
We have the Donkey Box too but its only the tiny bar part of The Town Wall Tavern. I was thinking that your Fox might be Box?

What does a huff cap look like Bernie? That name reminds me of a poisonous mushroom, wooly milk cap, shaggy ink cap.

Now this is interesting. Just found a website for the 'Mother Huff Cap' that suggests I am incorrect [that it referes to the headgear]. However when in my early 20's I was a regular visitor to the Mother Huff Cap - including the strange persiod when it had an Aussie connection. Jean Morton with 'Tinga and Tucka' were at its re-launch and we enjoyed free drinks. The attached suggest the name comes from the head or froth on the top of a freshly drawn pint - not heard this explanation before and would like the views of Frothy please.

Now found this explanation: There is one pub restaurant The Huff Cap,[4] formerly the Mother Huff Cap Inn, the name deriving from the days when most pubs brewed their own beer, Huff Cap being a 16th century term for a strong ale which would "huf ones cap" or make the head swell, not for the froth on the top of the beer as is sometimes stated.[SUP][7][/SUP] The 'mother' is likely to be the dame who brewed the beer and managed the public house. In 1746 the pub is thought to have been 'The Huff Cap' and to have acquired 'mother' later. This hostelry was once on the main coach road from Stratford to Bridgnorth.

And yet again this one: My new word of the day is nippitate. Any of you heard it before? (Bear with me there is a link)

The OED says it is a form of nippitatum, a mock Latin word meaning “ale or other alcoholic drink, of the highest quality and strength”, and dates its use to the sixteenth century. The word’s origin is unknown, but it may be related to the later word nipperkin or perhaps nappy. A nipperkin is also of obscure origin, but appears to come from Dutch and means a little drink and a small measure (less than half a pint) for the little drink. It is a grand way of saying a nip, in other words. We are in the land of obscure origins well and truly, and nappy is also one of its citizens. It refers to the head or nap of the beer or ale – a nappy beer being a strong beer. So, nippitate is as another old dictionary says, a whimsical word. An alternative whimsical word for the same thing is huff-cap (because it goes to your head, and figuratively speaking it huffs or raises your cap.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is interesting. Just found a website for the 'Mother Huff Cap' that suggests I am incorrect [that it referes to the headgear]. However when in my early 20's I was a regular visitor to the Mother Huff Cap - including the strange persiod when it had an Aussie connection. Jean Morton with 'Tinga and Tucka' were at its re-launch and we enjoyed free drinks. The attached suggest the name comes from the head or froth on the top of a freshly drawn pint - not heard this explanation before and would like the views of Frothy please.

Now found this explanation: There is one pub restaurant The Huff Cap,[4] formerly the Mother Huff Cap Inn, the name deriving from the days when most pubs brewed their own beer, Huff Cap being a 16th century term for a strong ale which would "huf ones cap" or make the head swell, not for the froth on the top of the beer as is sometimes stated.[SUP][7][/SUP] The 'mother' is likely to be the dame who brewed the beer and managed the public house. In 1746 the pub is thought to have been 'The Huff Cap' and to have acquired 'mother' later. This hostelry was once on the main coach road from Stratford to Bridgnorth.

And yet again this one: My new word of the day is nippitate. Any of you heard it before? (Bear with me there is a link)

The OED says it is a form of nippitatum, a mock Latin word meaning “ale or other alcoholic drink, of the highest quality and strength”, and dates its use to the sixteenth century. The word’s origin is unknown, but it may be related to the later word nipperkin or perhaps nappy. A nipperkin is also of obscure origin, but appears to come from Dutch and means a little drink and a small measure (less than half a pint) for the little drink. It is a grand way of saying a nip, in other words. We are in the land of obscure origins well and truly, and nappy is also one of its citizens. It refers to the head or nap of the beer or ale – a nappy beer being a strong beer. So, nippitate is as another old dictionary says, a whimsical word. An alternative whimsical word for the same thing is huff-cap (because it goes to your head, and figuratively speaking it huffs or raises your cap.)
Fascinating. I mentioned this pub some years ago to an ex colleague who said another colleague lives next door to it. (So that' what you did in your misspent youth then Bernie.) Then the same colleague was surprised we always now stop at The Fox, Stourton, they said they used to go to the grab a granny nights there, did you?

Wendy, my brain just clicked, I went to infants or junior school, with a Terrance Freeth. That was the only time I heard that surname till now. He lived in Momus Boulevard, Copsewood. I thought he was Irish not sure about that though. One of your Freeths?

Bernie. I saw potted hough once, of huff, in an old recipe book which I am also interested in. Can't remember what the dish is though. Maybe this is another thread of regional recipes with funny names? My parents had 2 Good Housekeeping books when they got married, years ahead of their time, it was in one of them, Nico

Back