• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Untraceable people on Census record

Petal

proper brummie kid
I wonder if anyone could help or advise. I have hit a brick wall in finding a couple of people on some census records. Would it be the case that sometimes people did not get included, or got missed out in some way? What other reasons would there be for not taking part in the census?

Just in case it is me, here are the details:

I am looking for information on the early life of Rosannah Goode, born 1853 in Birmingham. She married Matthew Frederick Edwards in 1871, and her father is listed as Benjamin Goode on certificate.

All of have of her is her marriage listing, and then her and Matthew's family in the 1891, 1901 census (where she is now listed as Rosamond Edwards). There is no birth register for her, the only other Rosannah goode was b 1857 in West Brom ( which I know is not her)

I can't find Rosannah listed in any other census i.e the 1861, or 1871 census (under Edwards or Goode in 1871, or Edwards in 1881), and I can't link any Benjamin Goode's to her (there are not many Benjamin Goode's at all in any of the census listings).

I have tried different spellings etc..

Are some people just untraceable. What other avenues could I try?

Many Thanks

Hi Petal

There is a birth for Rose Hannah Goode Born JFM 1853 Aston ref 6d 247.

Suzanne

In the 1861 she has been recorded as Rosanna Goods but the entry is Goode with father Benjamin and mother Mary A.

Take a look and see what you think.:)

Suzanne

Thanks suzanne,

I have found Rose Hannah previously, and at the time thought it could be her but on census records her father is not Benjamin, so I don't think it is her.

Thanks for looking.

Petal

The ROSE HANNAH GOODE born aston 1853 MATCHES the 1861 census although she is recorded as Rose Goods BUT image is definitely Rosanna Goode and Father Benjamin Goode.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks looks like it could be her, I had found that Benjamin in the 1951 census, but obv she wasn't born then so couldn't link them. However, I think you have just found them in the 1861, but mistranscribed.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Petal

Think I have found her in 1871 census.
Benjamin is listed as Benj. Goods
and Roseanna as Rod! but image is definitely GOODE.

Have a look:)

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

You are very good at this, thanks, I don't think i would have ever found that, Rosannah is listed as Rod, oh dear!

Thanks for all your help.

Back