• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unknown sergeants

ARippin

master brummie
image.jpg
Various Regiments, all Sergeants.
Any thoughts on what this photo is all about?
POW's? (Just a thought).
It was with a collection from an Aunt that died who's parents were both from Birmingham (Dugdale and Halberton Street, off Dudley Road).
She was a Nash, mother was originally a Palmer.
(see also group, 'Unknown Birmingham folk').

I'm wondering if these men were photographed while on a course, quite a few of them are wearing the crossed flags of a signaller above their stripes. (AI Sigs in my day).
Three of them look like they're wearing KD, (khaki drill), uniform. I wonder if they're abroad somewhere ?
I don't see any medal ribbons either.

The wall behind looks like the old wall of the Sgts mess at "Louisberg Barracks" , Borden, Hants still there in the mid sixty's but gone now. This was reputed to be the largest Sgts mess anywhere in the British Army, the camp was an Artillery/Cavalry barracks, with huge stables blocks, and a place for all types of courses, the Sgt on the right is in No1 dress, which denotes a duty man , don't think he would have been a POW.

I agree with you both, more plausible that they are on a course than POW's.
Not likely to be dressed so smartly if they were POW's.

Thanks for both your input (Paul and 'maypolebaz').
I'm hunting through old family photos to see if I can match one of the faces but no joy to date.
Will post again if I do find more out.
So frustrating as I'm assuming there must be a family member on there and a reason it was kept.
There is another group photo which I will post later.

Back