• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unknown photo, possibly Oscott, Sutton Coldfield

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This photo is an unidentified one from a facebook group devoted to unidentified photos. It has a very characteristic roof, and photographer is W Wort, Oscott, near Birmingham. Records show this person operating in Oscott in the late 1800s and a Mr Wort in Sutton Coldfield .photographer W Wort, Oscott.jpg

Wort also advertised photographic views of Sutton Park in 1888. Along with reasonable terms for gentlemen’s mansions, groups and animals. animals

That was the Mr Wort, with a different Sutton address, so it cannot be certain that it was the same person

The address of the W Wort advertising was Ashley House, Sutton Coldfield. The one in the 1888 Kelly’s is listed as Photographer, The Dam, Sutton Coldfield.

Strange there would be two of the same name and so close. Ashley House may have been in Penn’s Lane. There was the death of a W Wort of Sutton Coldfield, in June 1894 at Hill Side Studio, Victoria Road.

I agree, though did wonder if it was father and son. The death looks very interesting.
But , of course, the main interest here is the building and if anyone recognises it

I thought that it was this one at Banners Gate at first (taken from another angle), but it was never going to be quite that easy was it? :)

bgs_9.png

That gatekeeper's house at Banners Gate was for sale a couple of years ago, if I had been looking to move then, I would have been very tempted.

Back