• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Union Road Erdington

pam1511

master brummie
Can anyone help.I am tracing the Saddington family for a friend,his father 's birth certificate states that he was born at No 1 Union Road Erdington Municipal U and can't read the other initial.His father is not named so guess he was illigitimate.Would the address be the workhouse? Mother's address was ! back of 51 Saltley Rd Duddeston,signature of informant G W Lloyd 1 Union Road.
Thanks Pam

Union Road isn't on any map I have, however there is an unnamed road from Reservoir road to the "Aston Union Workhouse" Which later became Highcroft Hospital, now probably completely demolished and replaced by new boxes..er..houses.
Find Highcroft Road on a present day map, that's about where the road I refer to was.
Have you a date or first name to help us???

Pam
In an earlier forum ( https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11625&highlight=union+road+erdington) Alberta told us that the road was changed to Highcroft Road when he worknouse was renamed Highcroft hospital. It certainly is not named on this large scale map in 1890, but I have (wobbililly) written it in. As you can see, it was called 1 union road, but there were no other buildings for a no2 .
Mike

PS on reposting map, do not have original map but have posted c1913 map showing union road

erdington_workhouse_1913.jpg

The name is John Leslie Saddington born 1905 mother Fanny Saddington.Address wher born ! Union Road Erdington Municipal U ?
Many thanks

It is a Union road, GER22VAN, but not in Erdington. The Union Workhouse also sounds more likely for a girl in 'unfortunate' circumstances to go to have her baby, if she were poor.

Lloyd. I shall be very interested to the outcome of Union Road.
I have an aunt who had a baby boy at 1 Union Road, Erdington, I have been assuming that it is the Workhouse Infirmary.

As I posted before Union road became Highcroft Rd and the whole of the one side of the road was taken up by the Workhouse/Hospital .

In all my childhood years I never saw any houses in the road,I think the other side of the road was always taken up by grounds of the cottage homes.

Now all 'posh pads' houses and apartments.

Last edited:
Right on Alberta. When I attended Fentham Girls School in the mid l950's I would catch the bus at either Woolmore Road or Bleak Hill Road ...Outer Circle 11 to Highcroft Road and walk all the way down there
every school day and back again after school. The Cottage Homes were on one side and Highcroft Hall(as the hospital was known by) was on the other side of the street.

hi all i have a bit of interest in union rd not a birth but my grt grandfather died in 1926 and it has place where he died was 18 union rd sub district Erdington and i have always wandered where this was . On certificate it has of icknield st which must have been his homeaddress so im thinking it must have hospital or workhouse in 1926 where he died i would love more info on this place if anybody comes across it. thanks Rose

I too have just found a distant relative who died here in 1918 it was listed as workhouse. I believe the lady lived in Farm Street she was 79 a good age for this time.

Hi wendy , thanks for message have you found out any more about this workhouse im going to have look see if theres anymore wrote about it . The thing is i thought you were only in the workhouse if you had no family but my grt grandad had daughter listed has pre sent at death and he also had 6 other children so im thinking was it a workhouse or an hospital. I know highcroft hall asylum was in that area if you find any info will you get back to me and i will get back if i find anythink.

Re fentham rd

Hi , i was just reading somebody went to fentham rd school my sister went there in about 1957 i can remember the uniform vaguelly was it green gymslip and yellow blouse we were at erdington cottage homes at the time. I had a look at the homes last year and it is private housing now , all the buildings look the same on the oneside of the drive but there used to be playing fields and i think they have built on it in the last fifty years but it did bring a lot of memories back. I can remember walking past highcroft hall and it was known has a mental hospital in the 50s i was only a small child we used to see people at the windows bit scary of what i remember.

Yes this is a difficult one I am not sure if my relative had any family as she was a second wife and did not appear to have children. I am begining to think it may have been a hospital. The family must have been in contact as she is buried in the family grave. If I find any more info I will let you know.

Back