• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Union Jack Service Clubs

Morning Alf, I think if you run a Google check you will one is still open, more modern and updated.

Alf, Wife & I Stayed @ The Victory Services Club By Marble Arch In 1997 For 2 Weeks, Good Food, Clean Rooms, Well Looked After ,@ A Fair Price For Up The Smoke.

By The Way Look Up On Web Both Ujc & Vsc You Will Able Up Date Them Both.

I spent a number of 48 hour passes at the Union Jack club(s) in London in 1951/2, remember there used to be FREE theatre tickets on the notice board in the reception area (mostly matinee), saw a Brian Rix farce at the Whitehall theatre, although forgot the name of the play, I think they were provided by the Lord Nuffield trust good rooms and cheap. Happy days. Eric (ex RAF)

The UJC is still going strong but get a good overdraft to visit. For ex-services It costs £25 to join, £16 per year membership and accomodation runs between £43 per night for a basic room i.e no toilet or tv to £182 per night for a family room

Its not too expensive as London prices go and the £182 quoted is for a flat not a family room which comes in at £135 for temp honoury members and £114 a night for members

The U.J.club near Waterlool Railway station,stayed there many a time,4d.for a boiled egg and a bowl of soup,and you could sleep in a chair for the night.
Exept, on one occasion,I was in conversation with a Canadian soldier on the run,and knew if I fell asleep,he would have been away on his toes with my suitcase... didn't sleep that night.:(.

Back