• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Union Inn - Berners Street

I have picked this one out to help clear up some people's misunderstanding of the term beer house. Reading between the lines of some posts, some think that they were of low status, a rough hole with little repute. But here is a good example of a beer house that was well constructed, occupied a prime position, and was a cornerstone of the local community. This place was not fully licensed until the 1950s, almost a century after it opened its doors to the public.

p.s. I took this photograph in 2004. Sadly, the pub has since closed. The building still stands however.berners-street-union-inn-2004.jpg

yes it stands keiron but it will never be a pub again...its massive upstairs...gutted now inside and scaff has been up for a while...last i heard it was to turned into some sort of place for prayers...meanwhile just a few yards away the gunmakers still lies empty...very sad...street view 2020 before scaff went up

lyn

The only planning application I can find is 2009
Berners Street The Union Public House Lozells Birmingham B19 2DRChange of use from public house (use class A4) to education, employment support and advisory services (use class sui generis)

I have picked this one out to help clear up some people's misunderstanding of the term beer house. Reading between the lines of some posts, some think that they were of low status, a rough hole with little repute. But here is a good example of a beer house that was well constructed, occupied a prime position, and was a cornerstone of the local community. This place was not fully licensed until the 1950s, almost a century after it opened its doors to the public.

p.s. I took this photograph in 2004. Sadly, the pub has since closed. The building still stands however.View attachment 164995
Thanks for sharing the pic. I remember this pub feom my walk to school.

yes it stands keiron but it will never be a pub again...its massive upstairs...gutted now inside and scaff has been up for a while...last i heard it was to turned into some sort of place for prayers...meanwhile just a few yards away the gunmakers still lies empty...very sad...street view 2020 before scaff went up

lyn

I remember the gunmakers arms too. It's sad to see pubs not in use

i agree with you raja....we have lost far to many good pubs and still losing them fast

lyn

Obviously I mourn the loss of public-houses but I have come to accept that life has changed for many people and communities. Old cinemas have closed, many theatres have vanished, even the High Street's cannot keep up with the retail revolution of the 21st century. I am sure that all previous generations look back with some yearning for their old environment but, for us, the pace of change has accelerated and this makes it a bit of a shock to the system. So, the old pubs will continue to close as they do not serve the role for which they were built. For those, like me, who still like going out for a drink, the environment has been transformed into a world of micropubs, craft beer bars and brewery taps. I feel for Brummies in that we in the Black Country still have a variety of traditional houses but they too are getting more scarce.

points read and noted keiron.....has to be said that the amount of elderly and disabled people are getting less and less visible in pubs...i suspect that one of the reasons is the good old local is becoming extinct because they are not within walking distance of home except for the young and fit because as you say pubs are now becoming few and far between..in 40 years odd years the youth of today will too realise the difficulty in getting out to have a chat with their mates and put the worlds to right which for many can be the only time they see anyone...very sad indeed

lyn

An older image (sorry no date) of the Union Inn. Viv.
View attachment 179282
i love that photo viv..think its posted on the forum somewhere...here is todays view..looks clean and tidy but not a pub is it

oogle.com/maps/@52.5001556,-1.9055221,3a,75y,29.56h,111.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3amcBq2TWu3EBlYbvxqbAQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I Iike this one as it shows an old bread van pulled over, presumably delivering to a grocery/bread shop next door to the pub. A handy shop being right next to the pub ! The photo gives a better idea of how the pub would have been very much part of and closely connected with the immediate local community like most other locals, as Kieron refers to in his first post. His more modern view gives us less of that impression (in my opinion) - a good subject for comparison I think. Viv.

Back