• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Uffculme Open Air School

Re: did any one go to uffculme open air school, think it was either Moseley or Kings

In reply to a message from A,Sparks.I am a big fan of steve Gibbons .I first saw him in the 60's when they were the ugly's.and still see him time to time.Check me out on YouTube.<tony welby harmonica>and send to your contacts.Cheers.Tony.

Re: did any one go to uffculme open air school, think it was either Moseley or Kings

Hi there, I am trying to find out which open air school my aunt, Shirley Roberts, went to. This would have been in the 40s and 50s I think. She lived with my grandma all her life as she had epilepsy and some learning disability. I remember my grandma, Ivy Roberts, told me she went to the local primary school originally but my grandma was told that she shouldn't be there and she went to an open air school. She said it had two sides open to the outside and they had to have a nap in the afternoon. Shirley and my grandma are both dead now sadly, and there are no other family members to ask. I would love to know which one she went to and if anyone remembers her. She was a lovely woman. She later went to 'the centre' in the 70s and 80s where they did piece work for a small (very) wage - putting washers on screws etc. this changed in the late 80s and 90s and they did more social things. Not sure where this was. They lived in Yardley Wood then and she used to get the bus towards Birmingham to get there.

Hi Jayne, I had an older brother Ray, born 1927, who was aways a sickly child and went to Uffculme Open Air School, which was i believe was between Kings Heath and Moseley.I remember him saying they had a sleep after lunch every day.At the time we also lived at Yardley Wood.Some years later he had an open heart operation at the QE, and had a heart attack in the Doctors waiting room and died in 1982.Cant really be of anymore use, sorry! Bernard

Hi Bernard, thanks so much for your reply. I am sorry to hear your brother died. It sounds like it might have been Uffculme. Funny you were in Yardley Wood too. Best wishes Jayne.

Jayne, Welcome to the forum, from your description it certainly sounds as if it could have been Uffculme School, it's very similar to other accounts I've heard of time spent there. There's a little information on my website about Uffculme School with a couple of pictures. https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/UFFCULME.htm , not sure about where "the centre" may have been.

Colin

I joined the ambulance service early in 1968,and one of the outpatient duties was conveying special needs children to and from the school which was at the back of the Uffculme Clinic.

205mal, Think if the unit was on the same site as Uffculme Clinic it would have been Charles Burns Clinic now demolished and rebuilt as Parkview Clinic which was for special needs kids, it was one of the hospitals/clinics I was involved with.
Uffculme School is next door to Uffculme Clinic.

Colin

Thanks for the reminder ,you are absolutely right
Malcolm

Came across this article and photo of Uffculme Open Air School which might be of interest. (This may have been posted before but can't tell as some pics were lost from this thread). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364856586.359011.jpg

My son used to go to Uffculme school a few years ago so I do know a little about it but I have lately bought a book called 'A Breath of fresh air' by Francis Wilmot and Pauline Saul and I think it tells you all you might want to know. I think it is probably in the library if you don't want to buy it.Regards.

Back